07 Plate DE - Bad Vibration Under Braking

Craig350

Hey,

I'm getting a really bad vibration under braking - can feel it through the steering wheel and whole car. This seems to happen when travelling at > 50mph, and on spirited drives it's a lot worse (almost unbearable). When driving at speeds <40mph it's not noticeable at all really.

There's a bit of history behind this. When I first got the car (one and a half years ago), I noticed a slight brake judder when braking from 50mph and I've tried a few things to fix it:

• Took it back to the place I bought it - they skimmed the discs. The judder went away for a couple of weeks then returned.

• Month or so later, took it to a local garage as I decided to have all discs and pads changed (front and rear). I went with an EBC redstuff pad and OEM disc combo all round. The vibration disappeared for about 6 weeks then returned - a lot worse this time.

• I took it back to the same garage to say the problem wasn't fixed. He advised I upgrade the discs as maybe the OEM discs weren't up to the job (hmmm). So I went for Brembo's performance discs (drilled) and pads on the front - this was partly covered by warranty, but I paid for the upgrade.

After a drive today the vibration is back and worse than ever after around 10 weeks with the new uprated discs and pads. The vibration is intense and can be felt through the steering wheel. The brakes seem to be smoking very easily too without braking like a mad man.

Has anyone got any ideas as to what it might be that's causing it to keep recurring!? Keen to try solve the actual problem as spent a lot of money with the local garage.

Thanks in advance!

Craig :)

I'm based in Cambridgeshire and fix these issues all the time.

Could be any number of issues generating DTV (disc thickness variation).

A strip and check of all components will soon find the offending part of parts.

PM me if I can help.

^^^^ Highly recommended - your issue has all the hallmarks of not getting to the cause and simply bolting on replacement bits, whatever their ranking maybe, will not address the underlying cause. Marcus is a skilled engineer who has sorted out meany members brake problems and is used by many dealers who otherwise scratch their heads.

Thanks - kind of what I suspected!

Cro, I did check the temps with an infrared thermometer, and for the first run or two before the vibration the temps were not wildly different either side. Haven't checked them since it started again though.

Marcus, if you were closer, I wouldn't hesitate. I'm based in Edinburgh though, do you happen to know anyone good up this way that could do it?

Cheers

Craig