Rear axle/diff leak?

evest

Hi folks,

Well I've spent today getting ready to change my rear wheel bearings - driver side noisy in particular. I've removed the axles for ease of access, plus will be dropping the diff soon to do the bushings. The driver side axle leaked oil as I unbolted it - not a huge amount but see pictures (the other axle was dry). I assume this is a seal within the diff? Is this a serviceable item and if so does anybody have them available as I may as well do it while the diff is out.

Many thanks,

pic - Axle end

20160716_181542.jpg

pic - diff

20160716_183245.jpg

No leak or anything wrong here, there is not ment to be any oil in this coupling, could have been some rusty oil or some kind mechanic who put in in the join to combat rust,seazing. I don't think that stub shaft has a hole all the way through to where the oil is kept in the diff housing. If you do pull the stub shafts out the diff you will need to replace the rubber/metal seals as they tear normally.(the sealing circumference around the back of your pictured stub shaft.)

• Like 1