Squeaking noise - coming from brakes?

RS8055

Hi guys,

So I know I've probably asked about this previously thinking that it relates to the bushes, but I've had the car looked at by a mate who is a mechanic and he seems to think that the bushes are fine and it's something different causing this irritating squeaking noise.

Symptoms:

When driving along at varying speeds, the car seems to make this squeaking noise when I have the wheel turned a slightly different angles. The frequency of the squeak varies depending on the speed I am travelling (the faster I am going, the quicker the frequency). But as I say, it is only at certain times when the steering wheel is turned at specific angles.

Mechanic's Advice:

After taking a look under the Zed, he reckons that there might be a small stone trapped between the brake pad and the discs. He rotated the wheel while it was up on the lift, and showed me how the pad seems to constantly be touching the disc and is not completely free of it at all times. Is this normal?

The heat shield is clear of the disc, so the problem does not lie there.

He said that at different degrees, the distance between the brake pad and disc will change slightly and his recommendation was to take the pad off and give the whole area a good cleaning.

So I suppose what I am asking is, has anyone had this issue before?

And also, as I have never done it before but I have been told it's very easy, is there any guide on how to remove the brake pads and clean them yourself?

Thanks a lot,

Ryan

• Like 1

That sounds like a good place to start, strip out the pads clean up the calipers, runners, pins etc. put back together using copper slip, (anti seize compound). Fit new pads if the existing look a bit suspect.

While you are there, check that the discs are ok. Its an easy job to do. Look on U-Tube a few on there.

That sounds like a good place to start, strip out the pads clean up the calipers, runners, pins etc. put back together using copper slip, (anti seize compound). Fit new pads if the existing look a bit suspect.

While you are there, check that the discs are ok. Its an easy job to do. Look on U-Tube a few on there.

Thanks for the info. I am horrifically inexperienced in anything like this, so I am really hoping I don't bugger it up because brakes are quite important when one needs to stop. haha

Ensure you keep the discs and pads free of dirt and Greece, including the anti seize compound. But if you don't feel comfortable doing it, then get someone else, perhaps a garage.

sent by my Zed eating a Welsh cake

Ensure you keep the discs and pads free of dirt and Greece, including the anti seize compound. But if you don't feel comfortable doing it, then get someone else, perhaps a garage.

sent by my Zed eating a Welsh cake

What have the Greeks done now?!

• Like 1

I had exactly this and the Zed Shed fixed it by removing all the built up dust and crap that was around the pads and disks. Thanks Keyser and Bob :)

Any chance you saw how this was done? I'm going to have to tackle it myself and wouldn't mind some guidance on what to do! :)