Registration date and year difference

Banz

Hello all. I'm looking to buy my first Zed on autotrader. Some cars have massive difference between date of registration and the number plate. Some of them are like up to 5 years. Why such a huge difference and what does it mean?

Post up some examples....

Obvious answer is that some are on a private plate in the pics.

Second answer is there are a number of late registration cars (a number of 05/06 build cars ended up on 07 plates)

Third answer is scams

Fourth answer is that Autotrader is only as good as the information that the seller puts in. Often it's incorrect.

This is usually caused by importing.

The plate may say 02 because this is the year is was *built* but it wasn't important and *registered* until later, some have discrepancies over 10 years, it all down to when the vehicle was imported.

If the ones with a difference have a smaller number plate on the rear and/or no boot lip spoiler, it's because they're imports from Japan, hence the discrepancies.

I wasn't sure whether posting autotrader links was allowed here. But it all makes sense now, they do say Japan import. They have a 02 number plate but the date of 1st registration is 07.

Thanks! Time to shop around.