New Runaround/Project Car :)

bezza1121

I kept toying with the idea of getting a little diesel runaround as the roads around here are filthy and my commute to work has a lot of lorries etc and lets face it who wants to wear out their pride and joy just going to work and back and doing the DIY Dump runs etc.

So I thought it's time to have a little look at some diesels....

Ended up looking at one which certainly has some character and have decided it will be a project car now :)...

Anyway turned up and saw a 2001 plate peugeot 306 in the driveway, not the best of cosmetic condition with a dent and some sign that somebody had vandalised the drivers door mildly and the bonnet is a bit worse for wear with a slight ding on the front wing. knocked them down to £200 !!! the guy i brought it off was a change the oil and nothing else and keep driving it type.

Said the timing belt was done 40k ago...with receipt. and new front suspension

9 months Mot seems ok though. Anyway asked all the questions checked was all legit, but v cheap for a diesel brought knowing it had some niggles..... Anyway long story short I have covered about 200 miles since buying it, driven it hard not smoked used any oil or water... gotta be good so far :)

So I did a more through checkover earlier..... Timing belt could do with changing soon small cracks on the rubber looks more like 80k on the belt bit I can't believe there is .... Speedo sensor needs changing, the wire looks melted a bit and is intermittent...... the gearbox has what looks like new drain plugs on it :s and clutch is very good.

so new timing belt kit cheepo one , secondhand wing off eBay, driver side electric window clips (£15) , speedo sensor, speedo sensor , new oil and filters and a good polish and she will be a tidy little car albeit 240,000 miles plus on the clock.

Excited to make custom now :) . Gonna post some before during and after photos. Still want a classic Zed though :(

Work commences on it next weekend :))))

I know them inside out mate. Dad was a master tech for pug for 15 plus years and brother currently world for pug too. We live and breath the French shitters with the zed bring my first non pug purchase lol

What do you need to know mate as I owned a tasty stage 2.5 hdi 306 for 2 years 😊 and my last pug being a gorgeous 406 coupe v6

dca97ceca6d946a363c6651c3d96e7d3.jpg

This was my hdi. Stage 2.5 so around 180 bhp which with standard gearing pulled ok. Don't let the estate body put you off as underneath this had all the mods to make it stop, go and handle better than a modded gti6.

2b6caef94a16656da9c23dad80dafa63.jpg

My 1st 306 with the older mechanical diesel lump. Ran on veggie oil and handled like a go kart

092d53ee31a6af7badd509c3a8e22772.jpg

And my 210bhp 3.0 v6. More refined as the zed and quicker than anyone expected. Good for 150mph too but such an elegant car

Haven't got around to posting good photos yet. Literally photos taken from the original sellers advert.

Gonna try get some more detailed photos over next few days. Trialled a small area of polishing on the drivers side door and it comes up perfect :). It will need some cosmetics doing but quite excited about getting started on it now :) might try some fine sanding on the bonnet tomorrow and t cut and investigate what it's like underneath :s suspect it will nee a new bonnet. I'm so tempted to try a bit of vinyl wrap.... All excited now!! New timing belt kit on order to be fitted hopefully bank holiday :).

Really pleased with it so far :) , what common bits usually go on the 306 cars from experience ?

Managed to get a bonnet and wing for £35 same colour too!!! . going to be a tidy little car. Time for some mods next Ive decided I'm going to do something with the engine bay..... Hoses , spray the bay interior a funky colour hmmm ideas.

Cracking cars. In my family we have had the earlier 306 1.9 Dturbo for many years - it was one of the first "hot" diesel hatchbacks you used to be able to just crank the fuel pump pressure up which gave it more power. My ex gf had a 2000 306 2.0HDI for several years and I had the newer 307 2.0 HDI for a few years.

Have to say, they have been the cheapest cars ever for my family to run. We used to get 60mpg out of the 2.0HDi without any problems. On the 306 2.0HDi, the timing belt tensioner went so had a new belt kit fitted and the brake light switch under the brake pedal went - nightmare to replace! Other than that it was cheap reliable motoring and nothing else went. I did hear however after we sold the car the turbo went on it for the new owner.

On the 307 2.0 HDi I had no problems at all with the engine. Only thing which went was the top mounts on the front suspension, which cost me a tenner to replace - the car started making a clunk over bumps when they went.

I remember a mechanic mate saying that the biggest problem on the 306 2.0Hdi was the injection system, and that they occasionally went and cost the earth if they did - how true that is/was i dont know.

All in all, nice cheap cars to run.

One thing to note, when we were looking at 306 2.0HDi`s the performance seemed to vary drastically from car to car! Several we test drove were totally gutless. Was as if the turbo just wasnt boosting at all. Then others, you could noticably feel the turbo kick in and the performance was actually quite good. This was all around 12 years back when the cars were still fairly new and had low miles & few owners - so it wasnt a case that some had been "played" with.

Been driving the 306 around quite a bit over the almost past 2 weeks of owning.. It's really economical and surprisingly nice to drive. The turbo kicks in fine and has burnt no oil or used water and started fine everytime :) brilliant little car!!!!

A quick update. After a busy bank holiday weekend after returning from a couple of days away, had a further look at the more meticulous details on the car. Now got a full list of bits which need to be done in order to ensure everything is mechanically 100% found a few other bits which need doing, never brought a car and been so excited about fixing things on it haha.

Also now have a project Idea, Girlfriend and I have been thinking to make the car a 'tidy steampunk style' as there doesn't seem to be many about she has given me no choice she wants to help biggrin.png . She wants to learn more about cars smile.png (I did teach her how to do brakes on a peugeot 206 and a 350z haha) she will be helping with the artwork on the car all by hand smile.png and mechanical bits.

Will try and post current pictures again tonight (realised my previous photos did not display)

Mechanical work commencing in 2 weeks, new timing belt, aux belt, tensioners plus oils and some other minor bits to start smile.png, gonna be a busy couple of weeks Leeds castle car show and mot for the zed on Friday. Got the new bonnet now :) and wing coming Friday :D.

Get a stage 1 map on there asap mate. Transforms it from gutless to mildly warm hatch haha

I have looked at the above :D I saw remapping for £160 on ebay not sure if this is the best route Haven't done a lot of research into this yet if there is anywhere good around the Kent / Surrey area?

I have looked at the above :D I saw remapping for £160 on ebay not sure if this is the best route Haven't done a lot of research into this yet if there is anywhere good around the Kent / Surrey area?

The guy I used is highly recommended on the forums and also from personal experience. He did the stage 1 map for both me and my brother and also my stage 2 & and stage 2.5 map

http://www.hdi-tuning.co.uk/index.html

Update:

I've had a look at the remaps. Think I will go for stage one eventually. :) Thank you for this :)

- New bonnet fitted :) interior is now looking good.

Unfortunately the crank pulley catastrophically failed a couple of days ago luckily when I pulled into my drive. So the car is still ok, the worst rattling sound ever though. phew I turned it off right away the pulley was all over the place !! Removed all pulleys and drive belt. The timing belt looks worn consistent with age. New timing belt kit and water pump going on end of next week. and prep work starting on the alloys. Currently the car is on axel stands and the engine up in the air so I can put new timing belt and tensioners on.

Original photos, dent in the front wing, bonnet vandalised and some damage on the drivers side, and alloys in bad condition:

Crank pulley prior to removal. Left metal shavings everywhere.

Edited by bezza1121

http://s1208.photobucket.com/user/bezza1121/library/?sort=3&page=1 - This link should work. Original photos of the car it's a bit of a heap at the moment... but thats good :).

Current Bits;

-New Throttle Cable

-New bonnet

-Interior valeted and cleaned (images to follow in next album)

So next bits are;

Next 2 weeks - New timing belt kit, all new filters, oils, new wing to be replaced, front wheels removed and primed to trial different styles (not sure on colour to go for yet), mirror covers and calipers coming off for respray girlfriend doing the callipers for me :) trained her well :).

I am still so temped to go candy vinyl on the mirror covers as an experiment although this does not fit with the steampunk theme.

Next Month - Outlines of car to be printed , girlfriend is making a start on custom decals she's very good at arts and crafts!!!! and trailing overlays, will hopefully get some vinyls ordered up too and upload more progress pics, she will hopefully be addressing any upholstery issues and renewing old leather if possible and will be working on a custom carpet not sure how this will turn out atm :s. Engine bay cleanup, respray and rust treatment got so much free time next month :D hope weather holds out. Will post high res photos on engine by needs a revamp!!! the chassis is rust free otherwise.

June/July - Thinking of custom steampunk style handbrake lever and shift knob and possibly steering wheel change.Hopefully have all paintwork buffed out and prepped.

Am definitely going to replace old wiring for new high quality under bonnet wiring and replace hoses, nuts and bolts :)

Anticipating more work until September time and some performance modifications in the near future. Really am thinking of retrofitting 350z brembos and deep dish alloys in the future :S not sure whether overkill though.

Then some planned mods on the Zed :)

Edited by bezza1121

http://s1208.photobucket.com/user/bezza1121/library/?sort=3&page=1 - This link should work. Original photos of the car it's a bit of a heap at the moment... but thats good :).

Current Bits;

-New Throttle Cable

-New bonnet

-Interior valeted and cleaned (images to follow in next album)

So next bits are;

Next 2 weeks - New timing belt kit, all new filters, oils, new wing to be replaced, front wheels removed and primed to trial different styles (not sure on colour to go for yet), mirror covers and calipers coming off for respray girlfriend doing the callipers for me :) trained her well :).

I am still so temped to go candy vinyl on the mirror covers as an experiment although this does not fit with the steampunk theme.

Next Month - Outlines of car to be printed , girlfriend is making a start on custom decals she's very good at arts and crafts!!!! and trailing overlays, will hopefully get some vinyls ordered up too and upload more progress pics, she will hopefully be addressing any upholstery issues and renewing old leather if possible and will be working on a custom carpet not sure how this will turn out atm :s. Engine bay cleanup, respray and rust treatment got so much free time next month :D hope weather holds out. Will post high res photos on engine by needs a revamp!!! the chassis is rust free otherwise.

June/July - Thinking of custom steampunk style handbrake lever and shift knob and possibly steering wheel change.Hopefully have all paintwork buffed out and prepped.

Am definitely going to replace old wiring for new high quality under bonnet wiring and replace hoses, nuts and bolts :)

Anticipating more work until September time and some performance modifications in the near future. Really am thinking of retrofitting 350z brembos and deep dish alloys in the future :S not sure whether overkill though.

Then some planned mods on the Zed :)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I've sorted the essentials . New fluids and filters all round, new timingbbelt and pulleys, did'nt bother with glow plugs though thek looked ok and reisistance seemed ok. :) Had a slight issue at the easiest bit :( ended up being distracted whilst putting the aux belt tensioner back on..... i crossthreaded the hole in the engine block :( luckily it was a through hole managed to sort it :). Awesome think I'm gonna do some searching :) for brembos. Managed to tidy up the mirror covers. Think this morning going to attempt a good polish and fix engine bay rust.

Can even pick up an old dog 406 with brembos for the price of the brembos themselves haha

In regards to the glow plugs those high pressure engines barely need them tbh. The older style diesels sometimes need to let them warm up twice before it would start haha