Central Heating problems

gareth29

I recently replaced the motorised valve and the time controller for the system and although it works fine most of the time all too often the heating refuses to come on, with the room stat and the controller both calling for heat. Moving the lever on the motorised valve usually does the trick, but not always. Something I've noticed is that the valve motor housing is always quite hot, even when the boiler is not working.

Is it the valve, controller or something else?

Thanks for looking

When you say it's a new valve and motor, have you replaced the actual valve body? The brass part that the water flows through? Or have you just unscrewed the silver box off the top of it and replaced that?

Do you find the heating works when there is also a hot water demand (so the valve would be in mid position) but fails when only has a heating demand (the valve should motor over to heating only position)

If you can give me a bit more detail I should be able to figure out what's wrong for you :)

Yep its a new valve and body and usually the heating will work regardless of whether the hot water is on. Actually I've just realised that when the heating fails, the hot water refuses to come on either.

I'd take the valve head off the body first and just check the spindle in the top of the valve body can turn freely from side to side (it should do if its new, but you never know) if its not free enough to turn with your fingers then lube it accordingly. If that's sticking it will be putting strain on the synchron motor when it's trying to turn, hence the heating up.

If that's free and the valve head is getting hot (even with no heat in the pipes) then I would say you're on the right lines with a faulty synchron motor. Although if its new I would be taking it back to where you bought it from and asking for a replacement.

Good luck.