Samco coolant hoses & aftermarket radiator cap

Oversteer

Reading a guide on here

http://www.350z-uk.c...fter#entry12805

renewing the radiator cap at 30,000 miles and coolant hoses at 60,000 miles is suggested; is that accurate?

Are there any benefits to having Samco hoses over standard, other than looks or if original hoses have deteriorated?

Quite a few radiator cap options - there are different bar ratings (0.9 - 1.3) as well as small and big headed ones.

​Higher bar cost a little bit more, so guessing they're better; are there any downsides to uprating these?

Edited by Oversteer

I believe the silicone hoses would outlast the OEM in a longevity test but other than that I don't think there is any other particular advantage over the OEM rubber coolant hoses. They obviously look a lot better though but you also pay for that.

A higher pressure radiator cap is better because it increases the boiling point of the liquids in the radiators system. It's a lot to explain but have a read of this which will explain it all: http://www.tuneruniversity.com/blog/2011/06/beating-the-heat-advantage-of-a-high-pressure-radiator-cap/

I used to run a 1.3bar Mishimoto radiator cap on my Zed which for the money is a bargain (link below). Plenty of choices about though depending on how you want it to look.

Link: http://www.mishimoto.co.uk/mishimoto-high-pressure-bar-radiator-cap-large.html

:thumbs:

• Like 1

No probs Lee. ;)

If you do go for silicone hoses make sure you get some nice new s/s clamps to go with them ~ Samco do proper car specific clamp kits and they're not mega expensive either. I believe the clamps have rounder edges than normal clamps so that they don't cut into the silicone hoses. :thumbs:

Link: http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorsport/hose-clips/samco-hose-clip-kit

• 4 weeks later...

Yep small size I'm sure.

If I remember rightly when I bought mine I phoned up Mishimoto UK to confirm before ordering, ...the guy assured me it was the big one & when it turned up it was way too big so had to send it back & wait for the small replacement one. :dry::lol:;)

• 2 weeks later...

I was always advised to stay away from uprated radiator caps by the guy who used to live map my impreza.

His take on it was that the standard cap is designed to relieve pressure from the cooling system at a given pressure. If you then put a higher rated cap on it, any excess pressure has to work harder to release through the cap, and is more likely to find weaker areas in the coolant system to vent the excess pressure, including, potentially, your head gaskets.

If the cap is regularly venting then there's an issue!

IMO if you're worried about running higher coolant temps, Id look at uprating the radiator and/or run waterless coolant

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Was just looking at changing as had been mentioned by some as a recommended service item (one of several items that appear on some lists but not others, e.g. clutch fluid!) - just wanted to make sure I was / am doing everything to maximise performance and longevity, hence changing coolant, plugs, steering and clutch fluid.

Interesting what you say about the potential increase in strain on the coolant system by uprating the pressure spec of the rad cap. Might rethink this 'mod'!

Edited by Oversteer