uprating/replacing fuel pump

russyb

hi

Ive tuned many turbo/na cars over the years and as a part of that has normally always started with replacing a 10+ year old fuel pump as once tuning begins they can tend to underperform or fail completely etc etc, anyway this doesn't appear to be common practice for 350z's I wondered if there is any real reason why this doesn't happen ?, as common sense is telling me to replace my 14 year old fuel pump before I go much further with my build.

I'm lead to believe it isn't the easiest job in the world but is this the only reason ?

any advice welcomed guys

To be honest there is very little extra strain put on the pump form the minimal tuning that can be achieved with the N/A, pump speed is ECU controlled unlike the FPR on a turbo car, and the usual two speed circuit.

I guess for piece of mind you could replace but there is no real need to uprate.

thanks for fast response :)

that makes sense but even though its controlled by the ecu wouldn't a old pump that's not in prime condition have some bearing on overall performance especially as its pressures may change when tuning even if only minor amounts ?

AFAIK pump pressures and pump speed is controlled by load, so I would guess that there is plenty of headroom in the std pump, and although there is only 25 to 30BHP max available from the std methods of tuning, an old pump could in theory not keep up, but generally the pump is only changed when going FI.

Edited by Tricky-Ricky

Replacing or upgrading the fuel pump is relatively easy on the 350Z, just remember to carry this job out with less than quarter tank and always replace the large rubber O ring when you are in there.

If your build consists of going FI then definitely upgrade the pump.

If your build is NA and you are concerned about the pump then simply check the fuel pressure.

If the pump is a bit noisy then I would consider swopping out or at least pull the pump and clean out the fuel filter.

Alex. :)

• 1 month later...

Still not got round to doing this yet but was looking at various guides and wanted to confirm that swirl jet and regulator mod needs to be done when fitting a walbro even if only for an N/A application.

Also will fitting a walbro create any problems further down the line when it comes to NA mapping ?

Thanks for the response, I can understand why you need to do the mods within the pump housing as allegedly it causes irratic idle due to increased lph pushing through a small jet and past injectors so by inlarging hole it reduces pressure.

So no jet or regulator mod needs to be done and my idle will stay the same when swapping out to a walbro ?

Edited by russyb