Changing ATF Fluid information

russyb

It seems there is little to no information in the UK on changing the atf fluid in a auto 350z, so I thought I'd share what I have so far and update as I learn more.

According to the USA information atf fluid in the 350z circa 2003-2009 should be changed every 30,000/50,000 miles.

The UK information is very conflicting which says Atf fluid is considered "fluid for life" and should not need changing.

Due to the percentage of Americans driving auto 350's to English I'm far more inclined to listen to the majority.

The general sensus is ONLY Nissan Matic J/D atf should be used by all accounts this is near impossible to get hold of in the UK.

I found a few documents on various sites backing up what I have mentioned

Screenshot_2016-01-16-02-50-11-1_zpsp5kxbalf.pngattachment-4_zps0s7mdsq6.jpgattachment-3_zpsanozatnu.jpgattachment-5_zpssprunrtu.jpg

I fully understand that this topic will only interest a very select few but i hope the information may be of some use

The J Matic fluid is a fluid for life.

However if you prefer to change, then the old J Matic Fluid ( Nissan Matic J: Part Number KE908 99932 has been superseded by Nissan Matic S (J) Part Number 999MP MTS00P which is readily available from Nissan dealerships. On the rare occasion that they are out of stock, they will bring in from Amsterdam or worst case, Japan.

Also when swopping out the fluid, you will have to decide if you are carrying out a full change or a partial change, as the full change means emptying the torque converter and the oil cooling pipes and rad. etc.

Expect the fluids to cost North of £200.00

After market fluids are available but I personally would stick with oem.

To summarise: An unnecessary expense IMHO as it is a fluid for life on UK cars, however I have answered your original question.

Thanks for all the extra info zmanalex will be good to keep a catalogue of information for anyone searching for information.

My only bug bearer is the "fluid for life" quote where did this statement arise from ?

Is there any documentation to back it up ?

Do the Americans use a different fluid as it's common place in usa to replace it at regular intervals ?

And finally "fluid for life" is quite a vague terminology so in other words the fluid could last between 0 miles to potentially 200,000 miles which sounds a little bananas as all other services are so meticulous when they should be changed

Yes, I have Nissan documentation regarding fluid for life in the UK.

I would guess that higher temperatures in the US may be a factor in there preference to change ATM fluids every 50,000 miles as it is the same fluid in UK - USA.

• Like 1

I don't believe in any sealed for life auto boxes, more like sealed for warranty period imo . I'm changing my 370z fluid this year

The 370 has the Nissan Matic S (J) Part Number 999MP MTS00P which is not a fluid for life.

thats not what i have read

http://www.the370z.com/engine-drivetrain/98358-7-speed-auto-trans-fluid-change.html

but its by the by , many mercs are sealed for life but if you see the debris and state of the fluid after 40,000 miles youd be mad not to change it anyhow

I don't believe in any sealed for life auto boxes, more like sealed for warranty period imo . I'm changing my 370z fluid this year

The 370 has the Nissan Matic S (J) Part Number 999MP MTS00P which is not a fluid for life.

thats not what i have read

http://www.the370z.com/engine-drivetrain/98358-7-speed-auto-trans-fluid-change.html

but its by the by , many mercs are sealed for life but if you see the debris and state of the fluid after 40,000 miles youd be mad not to change it anyhow

See there's that "fluid for life" quote again...

Edited by russyb

Guys, referring to the forums and posts from over the pond may be completely different from what is required or available the UK and is a bit pointless in this instance.

For example:

The USA have 3 times as many recalls and NTB than we have in the UK which can be quite misleading to the uninformed.

So you got to remember that this is the UK and not USA.

There are no rules, and there is no what is right or what is wrong, with the fluid change intervals for the ATM so it is down to each individual how often the fluids should be changed.

• 2 months later...

just thought id update this topic as ive found a supplier online for Genuine Nissan AT-Matic S Fluid only it doesn't come cheap

http://www.glynhopkinpartsonline.co.uk/product/AT-Matic_S_Fluid_%2820-Litre%29_KLE2400002EU

but opie oils supply a few aftermarket alternatives that are "supposed" to be fine to replace Matic S Fluid (but personally I'm very apprehensive to try them

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-1025-red-line-d4-synthetic-automatic-transmission-fluid.aspx

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-906-motul-multi-atf-fully-synthetic-car-automatic-gearbox-oil-atf.aspx

I've recently done a lot of research here, the premium stuff that Eurocarparts sell is suitable for the 350z, for the 370 (Matic S) there are a few - the Motul one (I pointed out to Opie that is was suitable after being told they didn't do any) . I contacted Castrol direct , they do do a suitable fluid but its not widely available , it is cheaper than the genuine one which is ludicrous as you pointed out and I have no doubt its made by Castrol.

350z fluid - http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/car-accessories/engine-oils-and-car-fluids/car-tranmission-oils/automatic-transmission-fluids/?522776105&0&cc5_869

^^ same stuff I use in my daily Toyota Import Auto haha

have you tried the stuff you quoted in 350z yet rich ?

also could you post up some of your research into this thread as would be good to have a future point of reference :teeth:

Edited by russyb