Passenger window lowered but wouldn't go back up

samsniss350z

I'm not sure if anyone has encountered this before but I went to pick my girlfriend up from hospital and as we pulled out she decided to lower the passenger window. When she tried the switch to raise it, it just wouldn't move at all so she then decided to lower it all the way to see if it would then go back up. I've had problems with dodgy window motors before so knew it wasn't that as they give up over a period of time. So by the roadside I tried to remember the window reset to no avail. I then tried the window reset as recommended by Nissan, again I couldn't remember the exact procedure other than to jiggle the micro switch in the door jamb, to no avail. I ended up taking the drivers side switch panel apart separating the connectors and spraying it liberally with Q45. I put it all back together and bingo the window went straight back up. so we ended up having a warm journey home. I'm thinking that 10 years of UK weather has got into some of the connectors & switches. Now we're back at home I'll be having the door panels off tomorrow and making sure everything is corrosion free and waterproofed. This may become more frequent as our cars get older.

I had this problem, did exactly the same as you but the problem reoccurred!

Ive stripped the motor to bits and the brushes are worn out, I cant tell you this was defenetly the issue as I'm still waiting for new carbon brushes but they did look knackered.

Mine seemes to work intermittently so I've unplugged it for now to stop the Mrs accidentally lowering it on me.

Passenger window failing was one of the things to check on my list when viewing my zed years ago, of course I forgot, then on the way home tried it and it wouldn't budge. After a bit of shouting and swearing I realised I had hit the window lock button, always worth checking if other people get passenger window 'fail' sometimes there is a simple solution although sounds like your one is on the way out here...!

• 1 year later...

Hi there Coldel

I wonder if you could help me please? We had a new window motor fitted so we know its not the motor, the mechanic said the same. It worked ok for a while then all of a sudden when we closed the passenger door one day, the window slowly dropped down to half way and we had to turn the ignition on to take it back to the top again. This now happens every time we close the door. Do you know if this is a known fault and if there is a cure please?

Many thanks

my passenger window doesnt all ways work. So i open the passenger door and push and pull the window up and down while switching the passenger window switch up or down and it will start working again. its almost as if a sensor isnt picking it up. Then it will work for 4 or 5 uses of the switch then i need to do it again. i always lock the passenger window to stop some body from fully dropping the window and getting it stuck.

Good news! We managed to re-set the window! We wound the window up, then while still holding the window switch in the up position, turning off and on the ignition and only then let go of the button and hey presto it worked!

Not sure how long it will stay that way but fingers crossed it will last for good!

Thanks for your help all.