Help for a complete newbie please

matt89

I'm looking at removing the door handles, the 'z' badges by the side indicator and the z in the rear strut brace so that I can paint them a new colour.

What's the process for a complete idiot not wanting to pay to have someone else do it. I'm quite piratical but no idea with paint. Do I sand? Is primer required? Do I use gloss spray paint? And kind of top coat for exterior or interior items? When doing door handle do you prop them open to get all areas?

Basically, idiots guide would be grand!

If there is a guide I've missed a link would be very useful, I had a look but couldn't see one.

I can't help with how to remove the stuff as I've not tried on this car. For the most part, check behind the badge , if there's no fixings then it'll be bonded down. If you don't want to mask them on the car, then use heat to get them off

With regards to painting, you would usually sand down an area but with badges you don't always need to. If you choose to sand, make sure you use a fine grit so as not to put marks in the badges that will show up through the paint. Anything that's got that really shiny chrome look will probably need a fine sand down to help the paint stick.

Either way, use plastic primer for the badges and normal primer for the handles. Few coats of primer, few coats of base colour. Few coats of lacquer. Done

Normal car spray paint will be fine, unless you want them Matt or with a flake. Or plastidipped

With regards to propping things open, be careful as the paint will clog up in any hinges or joints. If you can, dismantle and paint then reassemble.

If you live near me , bring it round. Good luck with it , get messages up if you get stuck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the tips and the offer. No idea where Huntingdon is so googled it, 40 odd miles away, so thanks for the offer but I'll think I'll struggle on my own for now!

Little job for tomorrow is figuring out where to get paint from. Also Need to decide on a colour too, want a themed colour so when I get my wheels done they can match.

Use paints4u pal. Better quality

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

What's the delivery time like?

Usual fodder I think mate 3-5 days unless paying for special but pretty reliable

Nozzles are much better than your standard rattle can.

Use paints4u pal. Better quality

What's the delivery time like?

Usual fodder I think mate 3-5 days unless paying for special but pretty reliable

Nozzles are much better than your standard rattle can.

I guess something like this, I'll even be able to get it to match my paint code so can colour match the door handles.

https://www.paints4u.com/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=5423

There are a couple of youtube videos on how to remove your door handles and I totally agree with Tea and Wax about using a fine grit paper or a fine Tech non woven abrasive pad (Scotchbite), I would have thought the grey pad would offer a fine enough key for paint and won't leave scratches deep enough that the paint won't cover up. Good luck with it.