Shell Helix on offer but not sure......

niz

Euro car parts as they often do have great deals on Shell Helix at the minute.

Euro and Shell both say 5w40 but as you know 5w30 is the norm on these which I'd rather stick to. They do stock a couple of 5w30s but I'm not sure if these are suitable:

Shell Helix Ultra Professional AF 5W-30 5Ltr

Shell Helix HX7 Professional AF 5w-30 5Ltr

Shell Helix Ultra Professional AG 5W-30 5Ltr

Then on the other hand Opie recommend Shell Helix Ultra ECT 5W-30 which isn't stocked locally.

I'm really not looking to spark an oil debate as they go on all day!

Mostly marketing, any differences are minimal and wont have any effects, most modern oils, even the cheap ones are over speced, if fact I haven't heard of a directly oil quality related problem in the last 30 years.

The hot viscosity is up to you, it seems some like the 30 and some the 40, although I still not sure how some have had a slightly thicker oil cause smoking and thinner not. :wacko:

Edited by Tricky-Ricky

Mostly marketing, any differences are minimal and wont have any effects, most modern oils, even the cheap ones are over speced, if fact I haven't heard of a directly oil quality related problem in the last 30 years.

The hot viscosity is up to you, it seems some like the 30 and some the 40, although I still not sure how some have had a slightly thicker oil cause smoking and thinner not. :wacko:

Yes I agree on the 40 - specifically I had a Mazda CX-7 turbo and the recommendation was to use 5w40 instead of 5w30 to avoid smoke issues. Anyway I only do a few thousand miles a year and change my oil a couple of times a year so I think I'll be safe enough.