Gear selection problems

malross

Hi all,

I picked up my 53 plate zed a week or so back and have been having difficulty selecting the lower gears, most noticeably 2nd gear. Why I didn't notice it on the test drive I can only put down to beginner's luck(!). Needless to say, I'm absolutely sick I missed it, otherwise I wouldn't have bought the car. Anyway, to the symptoms...

When the car's totally static, I have no problem moving the gear lever though all positions on the gate. When I'm trickling forward, however, such as when approaching a T junction, I find it really very hard to get the lever into 1st or 2nd. While I've not noticed a gear-crunching noise, it does feel like I'm having to force it home and can take a couple of attempts. Moving between the higher gears tends to be trouble-free and I've not noticed any clutch slipping on the rev counter (or in the nostrils, for that matter).

What do these symptoms suggest to you?

Is it possible for synchro-mesh to die in only some of the gears and not others? Are my 1st and 2nd gears' cogs probably shafted? Or does it sound like a clutch problem? And the biggie - cost to fix?

If anyone out there is in the Newcastle upon Tyne area, would you mind offering a second opinion on the symptoms, first hand?

If you can answer any of the above, I'd really appreciate it, as my zed ownership has got off to a really bad start so far. :(

Thanks,

Mal.

Hey chap, sorry to hear of your woes. I dont know directly what the answer would be, but we're having a couple of meets at BigPhils new premises (very knowledgable bloke) on the 27th and 30th if you fancy popping over, sure someone can offer some advice. Shouldn't be too far for you its across in Sunderland (about 25min drive according to Google Maps from Bedlington).

Thread about the meet : http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic ... highlight=

Hope that helps :)

Guest prescience

Getting the car into first gear whilst moving is a common comment- but not a problem. 3rd to 2nd issues is more unusual but I suspect as you note, the best thing is to compare back to back against other Zs as you may be worrying over not much :)

Not been able to meet up with the guy's at Bigphils???

Edit: oh thats 2morrow!!!

Say try out Tim recommendation 1st defo the cheaper option

Sorry to be such a noob, but which one's Tim - prescience or lomoto?

Mal.

:ban: Noobs

Haha only joking mate my bad.... Tim = Lomoto = Old man ;)

Not been able to meet up with the guy's at Bigphils???

Edit: oh thats 2morrow!!!

Say try out Tim recommendation 1st defo the cheaper option

Sorry to be such a noob, but which one's Tim - prescience or lomoto?

Mal.

:ban: Noobs

Haha only joking mate my bad.... Tim = Lomoto = Old man ;)

:bunny:

Well, FWIW, Phil assured me that my gearbox is fine and the stickiness from 1st to 2nd is pretty normal for a Zed. Guess I've just got to adapt to it now. At least that's a weight off my mind.

Also, looked at possible brake upgrades while there. Suspect I'll be spending some money with ESR in the not-too-distant future. :)

Good to meet those who turned up too, although I only got the names of Chris and Dave. Regardless, I'm sure I'll see you guys again sometime.

Cheers,

Mal.