Unusual belt slipping sound on start up

Richesio

Last week I went to start my car (like I do in the exact normal way), but it stalled which was odd.

So I went to start it again and it struggled for a couple of seconds and then it started, but when it did there was a loud noise for a couple of seconds which sounded like a belt slipping.

What could that be?

I've since started the car about 5 times and it's been perfect.

The car has been in an MOT a few days earlier.

I thought the 350z's had chains, not belts. Can chains make this noise?

As you can tell, I'm not too hot on the engine side of things. So go easy on me!

I did think about describing the noise, but I'd end up just saying "kkrrrrrsschchchc" :lol:

Ah, I just had the alternator belt change at the same time as my MOT, so I'm guessing this is probably it!

Is this worth getting double checked or is this noise normal after the change?

New belts stretch, so they need re-tightening after a few weeks. Could be that wasn't tight enough in the first place if its only been on a few days. Try some silicone based spray on differnt areas to see if you can isolate the squeak.

Mine belts were only bad in cold weather so it could be the change in weather causing the issue. Tightening them sorted it out.

If your arms are thin enough you can reach the pulley tensioners by reaching down behind the radiator. If you can't get your arm down there then you need to get under the car. 5min job if you don't have to get under the car probably half an hour if you do.

If you go behind the radiator, look at pictures first to figure out where the bolts are, its a bit tricky but doesn't take too long. One tip is to tie a bit of string on to your wrench as you'll probably drop it a few times. The string will make it a lot easier to retrieve.

• Like 1