Advice on upcoming service for HR please

chirag1988

Right guys I have my service due for my zed and wanted to get some advice from the forum about a few bits and bobs.

Last year I had the following done:

Oil change - 5w30

Oil filter change

Panel air filters changed to HKS panel filters

Brake fluid changed (can't remember what fluid but was done by Ross at Japex so I know he'd use the good stuff)

A few questions about this year's servicing:

1) Which spark plugs do I need for my HR? And approx cost?

2) Is the oil filter the same for DE and HR as I won an oil filter at Wales this year

3) I also have a 5L gallon of Fuchs Titan Race Pro S 5W40. I know normally 5W30 is recommended but can I use this or should I try to sell it on and get the 5W30?

4) If I do need 5W30, is Triple QX safe to use or should I go for a branded product?

5) How can I check if auxillary belts need replacing or not?

Car is coming up to 50,000 miles but so far running clean as a whistle.

Anything else that may need doing?

Thanks in advance guys :)

When I had my HR, the oil filter was exactly the same one as fitted all the rest of the Nissan range. So a Nissan Micra used the same oil filter as my 350z HR. It was like a fiver or something, very cheap.

The Aux belt is clearly visable at the front of the engine when you open the bonnet. On my HR for some reason, this belt would shred itself every 20k miles and Nissan had no idea why. All the pulleys were fine and nothing was catching the belt. You can clearly see if its fraying etc. The last time I swapped the belt I went for a Gates higher performance belt which hopefully would last longer than the OEM Nissan ones. The HR only has the one belt, and it really is a 5 minute job to swap using just a 1/2 drive breaker bar (to move tensioner off) and an allen key (to lock the tensioner whilst you swap belt over).

Cant remember what oil I used but someone else will advice on that.

Plug wise, the HR uses different plugs to the older models and they are more expensive. Again, I cant remember which ones, but one of the traders will advise and give you latest prices.

I cant think of anything else which would need doing, but maybe keep an eye on the brake pads. I had to change mine at 40k miles and they were the original set. So yours may be coming up to needing some if you havent changed them already.

• Like 1

When I had my HR, the oil filter was exactly the same one as fitted all the rest of the Nissan range. So a Nissan Micra used the same oil filter as my 350z HR. It was like a fiver or something, very cheap.

The Aux belt is clearly visable at the front of the engine when you open the bonnet. On my HR for some reason, this belt would shred itself every 20k miles and Nissan had no idea why. All the pulleys were fine and nothing was catching the belt. You can clearly see if its fraying etc. The last time I swapped the belt I went for a Gates higher performance belt which hopefully would last longer than the OEM Nissan ones. The HR only has the one belt, and it really is a 5 minute job to swap using just a 1/2 drive breaker bar (to move tensioner off) and an allen key (to lock the tensioner whilst you swap belt over).

Cant remember what oil I used but someone else will advice on that.

Plug wise, the HR uses different plugs to the older models and they are more expensive. Again, I cant remember which ones, but one of the traders will advise and give you latest prices.

I cant think of anything else which would need doing, but maybe keep an eye on the brake pads. I had to change mine at 40k miles and they were the original set. So yours may be coming up to needing some if you havent changed them already.

Thanks for this mate - I'll pop the bonnet and check the belt.

Brake pads were changed at the last service so they're fine for now.

Good to know about the oil filter - fiver saved is a fiver saved!

Yep I know the plugs are different to the DE which is why I'm hoping one of the traders will be able to confirm the right ones for me :)

At 50,000 miles it would be prudent to change out the drive belts, whilst the Zed is in for service. I can recommend the Gates belts as replacements.

Similarly, you may wish to consider a coolant change.

Edited by Ridz

Plugs for the HR....Denso Iridium FXE22HR-11 for a set of 6 come in at around £70-£100.

You should be ok with the 5w40 oil, its just a bit thicker at 100'C than the 30 stuff.

Personally, I'd go for the 5w30 as its the recommended viscosity.