2nd gear grind

Hodaka

Hi guys,

I was hoping you guys could help me. I'm still quite clueless when it comes to cars, so please bear with me! The Zed is my second car (had a Z4 3.0i SMG before which developed issues), and it's only after I got the Zed that I wanted to start learning more about cars etc... :)

I have a 2004 Zed (UK model with just over 65k miles) and the biting point is very high. High to the point that I sort of tip toe when releasing the clutch... I haven't noticed any slippage but I've taken it to a garage (TGM Motorsport) and they said it needs replacing soonish, probably within a few thousand miles. So I will be replacing that in the very near future. Probably the Xtreme kit by CM or JWT combo by TORQEN. Haven't researched enough on that bit yet to know for sure.

Anyhow, this bring me to the gearbox. It's quite a rare occurrence, but sometimes if I shift up from 1st to 2nd when driving enthusiastically (6 ~ 6.5k rev) it doesn't go into gear and grinds instead. I'm still relatively new to manual (the Zed is my first manual, and I've had her for about 14 months) so it's not like I'm trying to quick shift / power shift or anything like that. As I say, it's quite a rare occurrence, i.e. in the last 4 months it's happened twice. Most of the time there isn't an issue, although going into second does feel notchy. I'm not even sure if that's the correct phrase to be honest! It's just not as smooth to go into 2nd - it requires a very minor zig zag like pattern rather than straight down.

So questions are:

• What could be causing the grinding issue?
  • As it's not happening often / all the time, does it mean it's less likely to be caused by worn synchros?
  • Can a wearing clutch cause anything like this, as I guess I'd be pressing down on the clutch pedal faster etc..?
  • If it is a gearbox issue, what sort of price do CD009's go for these days?

Sorry waffling on and for the barrage of questions! As I say, I'm a bit clueless so wanted to try and cover everything I think is relevant. :surrender:

Thanks in advance guys! :)

Unfortunately grinding at high revs usually means its a synchro on its way out but a worn clutch isn't going to be helping.

Lots of people including myself have used redline gearbox oil to get rid of the synchro problem (if its not too far gone) so maybe you could try that first.