Clutch problem?

Hello there!

I've had a 2004 350Z for several years now. It has never given me problems and apart from a new exhaust it has been reasonable to maintain. Recently I have noticed something unusual. When accelerating hard and moving up through the gears the revs change as expected, however,when cruising along in say in 4th at 2500-3000revs and the accelerator pedal is pressed hard the revs increase slightly before dipping for a second or two. After the dip the revs increase as expected. Any idea what the problem might be? Could it be the clutch? If so, is the repair likely to be hugely expensive or reasonable?

Many thanks David

Ah the dreaded clutch slip. Get it changed as soon as you can, mine totally died about 200 miles from my house which was an expensive recovery!

Clark Motorsport on here sorted me out with a competition clutch lightweight flywheel and stage 2 clutch kit. Very helpful, can't recommend them enough :thumbs:

Look into the options you have, cos right now you can either slap a new stock part on, or let the zeditus kick in and start modding your zed to match your tastes and driving style.

The cost of changing the flywheel at this stage is a lot cheaper as the mechanics will be working in the same area. If you did a flywheel later you'd have to pay for the time taken to get the transmission out again. A lighter flywheel will make the revs more responsive, but you will also have to be more careful with regards to stalling.

In the same regard the alternative clutches have pro's and cons. Some are a lot beefier and will not wear out in the same way the stock one is prone to (and also be ready for something serious like a twin turbo.... just sayin ;) ). Some make more noise at idle. Some are heavier and some are lighter.

So take some time out to look into your options as you can really start to mould your zed into the perfect car for you.

One word of warning though, check your insurance before you do anything other than stock. Many of the cheaper quotes won't cover any sort of modding, performance or cosmetic. The last thing you want is to get hauled into a court of law because you're driving a car with null and void insurance due to a mod. I think most of the insurance companies that have traders accounts on here are more mod friendly than the cheapest options on compare the market and other such sites. So if you want you can always look at buying out early and jumping ship.