Clutch Slave Cylinder Gone - Replace Clutch or not?

MG Mark

Just joined the forum and have searched for advice on clutch replacements, but can't find quite what I'm after.

My clutch slave cylinder failed quite comprehensively today on the way back from work, resulting in the ignominy of recovery on the back of an AA truck, back to my local chap who has worked on the car since buying it nearly a year ago.

Car is a 2007 VQ35HR, so the problem comes with that added bonus of needing to drop the gearbox because of the concentric slave cylinder...... The master cylinder was replaced about 3 months ago when that failed, so I suppose the slave going was only a matter of time. Car has covered 58k miles and, otherwise, no problems with the clutch or gearchanges - nice and smooth, progressive, no slipping or juddering, biting point just over halfway down the pedal travel. Normal mixed driving on A and B roads and motorways, spirited driving, but not ragging it.

So to the question - as the clutch and flywheel seem good, how worthwhile is it changing them at the same time? And, I've seen the posts about SMF v DMF - best to stick with DMF for the cushioning of loads? Any instances of SMFs inducing undue loads on the engine's crank? Thanks

Mark

That was the question I also meant to ask - having seen the posts on their failure too - i.e there an upgraded CSC......as you mention one, what has been upgraded and where can I get one? Thanks,

Mark

Edited by MG Mark