Fitting uprated bootlid gas struts

HassanZ

Hi all,

I have purchased a pair of uprated SGS bootlid gas struts designed for the NISMO spoiler. I have no idea how to fit them so I thought I'd post a topic on here and get some valuable help and also hope this thread will help others with the same question in the future.

Could anybody please point me in the right direction to obtain a step by step guide specifically for the 350z or be able to explain how to do it?

I've read before how the struts were fitted the wrong way around causing dents in the bootlid and I want to ensure I avoid this issue.

Your help is very much appreciated :)

Hassan

Hassan they should be a doddle to fit. First thing is to make sure you note the orientation on the small metal brackets attached to the Zeds body as lots of people make the mistake of fitting them the wrong way round.

Best thing to do is take some camera phone pictures of how everything is fitted together before you start taking it apart. This is a good thing to do for whatever part you are taking off or replacing on any car.

Here's two fitting guides for you just to make it fool proof: http://www.350zhatchshocksandmore.com/INSTALL.html

http://www.carnutcase.com/Articles/2014/Nissan-350Z-Boot-Trunk-Wont-Stay-Open-Strut-Replacement-64.aspx

Hope that helps. :thumbs:

SGS used to do a video on their website - I do seem to recall if its a JDM then there are a few funnies that need to be done but straight forward on UK spec

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you all for your invaluable information/advice (especially the guides you provided GMballistic)!

I finally got round to doing them. Removing the old struts off the bootlid was an absolute pain! It took a lot of force to finally remove them, I was scared the inner bootlid skin would come off with it!

I made the common mistake a lot of owners have previously made, I fitted the bracket upside down! I didn't notice the second guide you sent GM, until I had completed the job. So the bracket issue was completely overlooked.

After everything was complete, I put all my tools away and thought I could go in and relax. Upon the final walkaround, I noticed the top of the bootlid was not sitting flush with the roof and A pillars. I began to panic thinking I may have over extended the bootlid hinges when holding the bootlid up when the struts weren't attached causing this misalignment.

I opened and closed the bootlid on a number of occasions trying to work out what the issue was until I noticed on the comparison photos between the new and old struts fitted to my Zed what I had done - what a wally I am!

When the bracket was the wrong way round the bootlid flies open when the button is pressed, almost like the struts had too much power. I'm assuming this was due to the pressure caused by the misalignment due to the incorrectly fitted brackets.

Once the brackets were flipped over, the bootlid now sits perfectly and all seems to be working perfectly.

Could this mistake have caused any damage to the bootlid hinges/lock mechanism/bootlid/struts?

I'm surprised how the bootlid still shuts even though the whole bootlid is misaligned at the top. Are the hinges and related mechanics designed to be flexible or something? I'm scared the pressure may have caused damage to the hinges.

Once again thank you for all of your help and input guys :)

....Once the brackets were flipped over, the bootlid now sits perfectly and all seems to be working perfectly.

Could this mistake have caused any damage to the bootlid hinges/lock mechanism/bootlid/struts?

I'm surprised how the bootlid still shuts even though the whole bootlid is misaligned at the top. Are the hinges and related mechanics designed to be flexible or something? I'm scared the pressure may have caused damage to the hinges.

Once again thank you for all of your help and input guys :)

You said it yourself; "Once the brackets were flipped over, the bootlid now sits perfectly and all seems to be working perfectly.", so I wouldn't worry about it (you're not the first person to put those brackets on the wrong way around & you won't be the last). ;)

Glad you got the job done without too much hassle. :thumbs: