Skipping Bose

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 bugglet

bugglet

Z Hopeful

• Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 22:00

Ok, I know the fact that the Bose system is prone to skipping is old news, but I was just wondering if anyone had found a way of improving it with out replacing it?

The reason for asking is that the car is out of warranty so getting Nissan to replace it is not an option. All I can find on the forum is info on replacing the unit which seems to involve a lot of adaptors for the amp, the steering wheel and the phone which all seems a lot of hassle since I'm happy with the system when it decides it'll play a CD!

Thanks guys.

#2 lomoto

lomoto

aka The Shirt!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,135 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 22:18

bugglet said:

Ok, I know the fact that the Bose system is prone to skipping is old news, but I was just wondering if anyone had found a way of improving it with out replacing it?

The reason for asking is that the car is out of warranty so getting Nissan to replace it is not an option. All I can find on the forum is info on replacing the unit which seems to involve a lot of adaptors for the amp, the steering wheel and the phone which all seems a lot of hassle since I'm happy with the system when it decides it'll play a CD!

Thanks guys.

just use the radio..... :teeth:

#3 Stew

Stew

Z Supreme Being

• Ex Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,444 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 22:32

I ran about with just the radio for a while but I would just replace it.  Put it in to a quality audio dealer and it shouldn't cost more than about £30 (unless things have changed?) to fit a good quality headunit.  It might even be free!

#4 stevie_350z

stevie_350z

Z Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 09:58

I'm due to get mine replaced soon but here's the weird thing - the skipping has practically stopped!  Admittedly it hasn't been _really_ cold recently, but even when the ICY sign is on I have no skipping or the skipping only starts once the car has warmed up a bit (then doesn't last long).

Strange.
GT Kuro black, charcoal, RAYS, Rear LED  :D

#5 Trev-the-Rev

Trev-the-Rev

Z Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,435 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 10:08

I find that that mine skips for the first 10-15 minutes of using then it's fine and only when the weather is cold.  Someone suggested that it could be the CDs having condensation on them.

#6 bugglet

bugglet

Z Hopeful

• Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 11:39

I'm sure ultimately I'll end up replacing it once it has annoyed me enough!! At the moment I've found that if you move it on to the 3rd or 4th track it will settle down a bit.

Oddly the other morning I was sat with the power on swapping CDs before heading off and it was playing them fine. It was only when I actually started the engine that it started to skip.  :wacko:

#7 stuey

stuey

Z Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,023 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 11:39

youll have to bin it and put a replacement in :thumbs:

#8 ir_fuel

ir_fuel

Z Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 15:13

Binning it is the easy part, but then it comes:

you want to keep your steering wheel controls -> problem
you want to keep your phone adaptor integration -> problem
you want the gps voice to keep working -> problem
One does not simply www.350z-uk.com into Mordor

#9 M13KYF

M13KYF

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 28,301 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 15:55

it's the laser thats going. Had it happen in the TT which was bose also. Luckily in the TT the CD was a separate unit and Audi would do a recon exchange for £90. Don't know if Nissan will do the same seeing as some cars are now out of warranty.
Mike

Posted Image
It's as much fun as a itchy asshole

#10 H5

H5

Honorary Z Member

• Ex Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,684 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 18:22

Trev-the-Rev said:

I find that that mine skips for the first 10-15 minutes of using then it's fine and only when the weather is cold.  Someone suggested that it could be the CDs having condensation on them.

Yep, the laser isn't good enough to get through it.

Stevie, if you want to replicate it, keep a CD in the fridge over night and then put it in the car!!!!
Posted Image
Why not join us at a meet or event? Click my signature for club events!

It has to hit 33Hz........
Gunmetal, GT, Alezan, Rays & Toyos (winter), Linea Corse & Falkens (summer), Alpine, JL Audio, Dynamat, Apple, Millers, Performance Friction, DBA, Motul, Injen, Summit, ESR Carbon, NISMO, GReddy, Shiny bits, Chemical Guys, Poorboys, Wax, Wax, Wax, Wax, Big Smile.

#11 stevie_350z

stevie_350z

Z Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 18:48

Cheers lads!  No room in my fridge cos its full of beer... for now! :P
GT Kuro black, charcoal, RAYS, Rear LED  :D