Aftermarket SatNav and hardwiring

Mikevv

Hi guys, I got a Z with no Nav ( used one with Birdshite and was not impressed and found it a waste ) so I'm looking for a decent Nav unit. My problem is I am clueless as to how I'm supposed to wire these things in, and the guides on here although thorough, intimidate me. Cutting wires and soldering, this would be my first attempt at either, and I'd rather pay someone to do it right first time. Heaven forbid, they bugger it up, they are to blame and not me.

Anyways I digress.

Can anyone recommend any late model Navs they have gotten retrofitted, with pics? It's all well and good looking at them on the interwebs, but I find it hard to picture it in my car, and also all the techno jargon is confusing me ( I don't do electronics, I just play with them )

I'm looking to spend a maximum of £300 fitted but might be flexible if I find a truly amazing system.

Eventually I will need a replacement for the Bose unit too, and parking sensors, but that will come later :)

Any help would be appreciated, and for fitting, I am in the Ringwood area, so if you know local shops less than 50 miles away that'd be great :)

All I've got is some local shop in Ferndown that did the radio for me in my old car, and fixed it when I accidentally removed it and couldn't get it back in they fixed it for free!!

Thanks guys, I have posted some of the Nav systems I have found and think are an option, on opposite ends of the scale, and again ( to paraphrase Game Of Thrones ) I KNOW NOTHING, Jon Snow.

http://www.halfords.com/technology/sat-nav/car-sat-nav/garmin-nuvi-3598lmt-d-5-sat-nav-with-uk-ireland-full-europe-lifetime-maps-and-traffic.

The key features that I liked were the lifetime map updates, real time traffic/speed camera's and the 3D terrain, although the last might be a gimmick. I'm not 100% sold on the bluetooth phone thing, as it might not work too well with it being tucked in the cubby hahaha

Just want it to look like a decent system, not some cheap one with tech from 10 years ago ( My dad still has the same one he bought in 2006! It works, but I could never get a signal with it in my own car )

http://www.halfords....lifetime-maps��

^^^^^^ The one above from Halfrauds, is the budget/cheap but I posted it for the mounting, surely this would be ideal for a cubby? stick it to the back, and remove when I'm done sort of thing? My issue would be wiring , but we can figure that out later :)

Edited by Mikevv

I'm planning on getting a Nav as well, but have decided to remove the Bose stereo and get an android unit (something like this)

Then install Waze on it, which is probably the best Sat nav I've ever used - Crowd Sourced real-time information, something that beats TomTom and Garmin by a long shot.

Although I'm pretty handy installing stereos, I'm going to pay an ICE installer to install it. Shouldn't be much more than 50 squid.

Edited by Juggalo

I was hoping to just stick the satnav up top for now, and eventually replace the Bose system down below, as I barely use the radio on my commute to work it's not a high priority for me. ( its like a 15 minute drive and I just talk to my passenger )

It seems alright, but the mixed reviews put me off, rather just get a trusted and known thing like a Garmin or TomTom if I can :)

Personally, i went for a Pioneer SPH-DA120, and use satnat via CarPlay.

Cheaper alternative would be sourcing a cubby for the top and then just get a Garmin/TomTom that fits in there. Drill a hole in rear of cubby and route the power lead to the front power socket.

Personally, i went for a Pioneer SPH-DA120, and use satnat via CarPlay.

Cheaper alternative would be sourcing a cubby for the top and then just get a Garmin/TomTom that fits in there. Drill a hole in rear of cubby and route the power lead to the front power socket.

I like the look of the system, and then I read it has no CD player or memory or Satnav, and as I don't have an Iphone CarPlay it's useless to me I'm afraid.

I was thinking, like I posted above, 2 separate units for separate things. Satnav up top and Music etc below. Don't need fancy DVD players and the like, just Music. I'm trying to avoid the boy racer look like flashing blue lights etc. Just a clear screen is enough

The SPH-DA120 also hs AppRadio, so you dont have to use Carplay feature and run Android phone too.

Like you could run Waze App for instance.

It also has two USB connections, HDMI, which you will use one USB for AppRadio, which leaves one USB free for memory sticks/harddrives.

I went down the same route you are planning when I had my 350. Like you I wanted the nav to be a separate unit from the stereo so I bought a Kenwood 7" touch screen to go in the cubby and the Kenwood KNA520 Nav unit which is powered by Garmin. The touch screen connects to a video box which I put underneath the false floor in the box behind the passenger seat. Then the Kenwood Sat Nav unit sits next to the video box and connects to that.

IIRC it cost me around £600 just for the screen and the Nav unit but you can probably get both of those things much cheaper now days.