Clutch Flat to the floor

Hughesie90

Hi Guys I was giving her a hard ride yesterday through some bends with some heavy braking, it was quite a hot day, then heard my clutch pedal thud to floor and it won't come back up, managed to get it home rev matching into gear.

i've seen many posts on here regarding boiling the fluid, master cylinder or slave clyinder..

the spring is all in tact and i've found no leaks, the clutch fluid is below the Min, but not below the pipe so it hasn't got air in the system yet!

anyone solved this by simply sucking out the old crap with a syringe and filling it back up and pressing the clutch to presurise it?

lastly is there a way i can diagnose if it's slave or master? the master looks relatively easy to do?

Thanks, Jason

Edited by Hughesie90

The master is a bit tricky to do but not difficult.

New fluid on its own may help, however best to swop out the slave, line and fluid and give it a proper bleed making sure ALL the air is out.

Alex. :)

The master is a bit tricky to do but not difficult.

New fluid on its own may help, however best to swop out the slave, line and fluid and give it a proper bleed making sure ALL the air is out.

thanks alex, I've heard the Slave is a box out job, hope that's not true lol

Edited by Hughesie90

I'm on DE first time i'm glad to say that then! easy enough to do on the DE? is it visible from under the car as again i've had no leaks which is odd, going to bleed the clutch tonight with new fluid, then try to diagnose Slave or master i guess...

DE slave is easy to change as it is bolted to the outside of the gearbox and this is where you bleed it from.

Your issue is usually caused by boiling fluid due to the heat off the front of the exhaust, so not unusual for there to be no fluid leaks.

Bleeding is tricky so this is why I recommend that you swop out the slave and line when doing the fluid so you only have to hopefully bleed once.

Upgrade to high temperature fluid and a braided line.

New stock slave will be fine.

Alex :)

Good luck with all that, however I think I know what is coming next. :lol:

haha please do share, think i'll give it a bleed tonight and put some fluid through and see if it gains pressure so i know for sure what the issue is, would hate to buy all that for it to be a fork or the ball lol

Edited by Hughesie90

Good point. :thumbs:

Did you manually lift the pedal back up to its normal position?.

If it is totally flapping about then pull the gator from the bell housing and have a look inside to see the fork and ball end.

Good point. :thumbs:

Did you manually lift the pedal back up to its normal position?.

If it is totally flapping about then pull the gator from the bell housing and have a look inside to see the fork and ball end.

yeah I can manually pull it back into position no problem just doesnt return once pushed down! not flapping about at all it's still under tension and quite firm when in the correct position

This happened to be a few years back. New clutch slave cylinder and braided clutch line sorted it right out and it's never happened since. :thumbs:

Thanks Paddy, seems it's either the master or the salve and there's no real telling which one it is!

As said before you have boiled the fluid, just swop out the slave, line and fluid as this fixes the fault 99% of the time providing you bleed properly.

Swopping out only the fluid is only a short term fix. :surrender:

As said before you have boiled the fluid, just swop out the slave, line and fluid as this fixes the fault 99% of the time providing you bleed properly.

Swopping out only the fluid is only a short term fix. :surrender:

yeah i just tried flushing fluid through it, it gains a bit of pressure but just kept taking more and more fluid in, i then looked under the car to notice a small puddle so i'd assume salve/pipe leak, will do both.

so the salve was leaking i ordered a new one went to fit it today and i loosened off the slave to find my fork literally wiggles in the gator!,

so either a bearing or the fork it's self :( tranny out job, don't care about the time anyone know how much the parts are?