PS tank help please

JoKeR

I changed my power steering tank yesterday and now I'm having a few problems.

It's foaming and whining when I turn even a little bit. Power steering works fine but I'm just worried about it.

What's the worst that can come of this if left untreated?

a30c7be3d3cd784484f7ebdbb03385ae.jpg

b858d0f1bfb8413611f5cc5b42fd5947.jpg

aef491b17a7f03396abc3365569cc60f.jpg

65a81e3a60c834a7904995f53148796b.jpg

51ae6924eff1ede6d6d99d8b49b66791.jpg

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/06/32b0246d4f41032cdadbbdb670a8b51e.jpg[/img

Thanks guys.

Also if I leave it how it is can I go for a 40-50 drive tomorrow safely??

That's what she 'Zed' :-/

If the pump is being driven harder than usual, premature wear/failure might be a longer term issue.

I switched in a shiny one and it made a nasty whine. I tried varying fluid levels, tried leaving the lid a few screws short of tight to let air move in and out. In the end I gave up and went back to stock with a lick of paint on it.

Is it baffled? I can't remember if the OEM one has a bit in the bottom to stop it cavitating.

It's not baffle mate no. Just an empty can. The fluid is about 3/4 full or just over but doesn't seem to be over flowing when it foams. That was the level when it was cold too. This is really confusing me.

I remember reading on here recently that someone said to bleed the system with new fluid - leave the top off and rotate steering wheel from left to right to left and fluid will foam, meaning air is coming out...

So, may be you still have air in the system? Take the cap off, turn engine off and rotate steering wheel few times from side to side until foaming stops...might help, might not, but worth a try

So far so good no whining or foaming after the bleed Vlad, but haven't driven a longer distance yet. I think I may have a small leak through the new pipe I put in as it was 2mm too big for the pipe I was putting it onto but very tight fit for the other end so didn't have a choice really. Done it up with 2 jubilee clips but I think it may be seeping through a bit.

17f4e63652145c18e851569f5a78b13b.jpg

Put a bit of black tape around the thing, to make it wider and then put hose on :)

I might just put some RTV sealant around the bottom of it if I see that it is leaking.

Still not confirmed if it is leaking yet though.

Put a bit of black tape around the thing, to make it wider and then put hose on :)

Still the same noise and foam after a longer drive :( wasn't any obvious leaks after about 12 hours sitting too.

I dunno what to do with it lol any ideas mate?

Maybe air is getting in through your poor fitment of the new pipe. It may not show signs of leaking whilst stood but maybe in use the extra pressure is forcing it to leak a bit. If fluid can leak out, then air can leak in. I would put tape around the ens your attaching hose to then seal it with jubilee clips and some sealant. Bleed the system until your 100% sure it is air free and go for a drive.

• Like 1

Cheers mate soon as I get the time I'm gonna do that as that's all I can think it is too after reading up online. Went for another drive and there was no foam but the noise was louder and more persistent! Has to be air though.

Can this happen if the tank is over filled. It's not overflowing but it's very near to the top. Or would that not make any difference?

Thanks for all your help guys ðŸ‘ðŸ»

• 2 weeks later...

I sorted out the poor fitting pipe. I bought a reducer and fit a 13mm hose one side and 9mm on the other.

The problem is still the same though. Drained and put in new fluid (ATF). Still foams and makes the noise and again all after about 15 minutes.

I've seen the tiniest kink in the pipes upon inspection.

11a41fcf96bb098e5ec886ef78c5cefb.jpg

So small you properly can't even see it (it looks a little flat by the bend on the inside).

I have this on both pipes, can this be my problem. Would this make the noise and the bubbles in the tank? If so, why would it only start after a little drive of about 10-15 mins?

I hope someone has some answers for me I'm doing another track day next month!

Thanks

It looks like there might be a little kink. I have no leaks at all an it is the right fluid. I've bled the system way too much over about 150 times turns all together roughly lol.

Can a kink cause these problems? It is very very slight I'm not even sure if it is a kink.

Thanks mate

I'll try sort the kinks out. I'm loosing so much fluid doing all these checks haha have to keep draining it all the time lol I know one of the pipes isn't blocked I'll check the other when I sort the kink.

Ok so it's all sorted now. To all the people that said check your fluid first etc etc, I apologise. That was the problem but let me explain.

I took your advice and checked my fluid, even drained and topped it up. However, because there is no min/max lines I just guessed where it should be. I thought it worked like the coolant tank as in when it gets hot the fluid rises.

This isn't the case with the power steering but I didn't know that until now! When you turn the engine on, the fluid gets drawn into the pipes, thus making the fluid level inside the tank drop (just below the inlet and outlet pipes).

This is where the air was getting in but obviously I just checked the level when not running and saw that it was about 1" from the top and thought if I put any more in, it would overflow!

When I checked it when running it, the fluid was sloshing about and I thought that was normal.

After speaking to the father in-law and him educating me about the fluid being drawn into the pipes, I put in about half a shots worth of ATF in a tested it.

Well what do you know, noise free and it feels fine now. Thanks for all your help everyone at last it's finally sorted.

I hope this can help anyone else that is as clueless as I was. And I mean I put in a really small amount of fluid.

It's about 1/2" from the top mate but running fine now. Might add a little more if it starts to feel still or weird at all. I can post a pic of how full it is when off if anyone needs or wants me to.

3d26d0662a900e17fc03eb5b8170c3a7.jpg

This is how close it is to the top when cold. Could probably do with a little bit more its to be on the safe side but no problems as of yet. Apart from the strong smell of fluid sometimes even though there's no leak lol