Why is my exhaust red inside?!

James Junior

I have recently taken delivery of a 370z which I bought unseen from a trader at the other end of the country, as a good mate was able to inspect it on my behalf. The car was delivered to me last week and is a 2011 GT with auto box.

One thing I noticed in one of the pictures in the original advert was that the exhaust was red inside the tail pipes which I thought was odd. See below:

photo_zpske03zrwf.jpg

I asked the trader about it before putting my deposit down, enquiring as to whether it was perhaps an aftermarket exhaust. However, he said not and that it was totally standard. He suggested it must be metal the polish that they had used on the exhaust and that it would disappear after a hundred miles or so.

Well, I have now covered a few hundred miles in the car and its still red. I took a closer look tonight and it's like the inside of the tailpipe has been painted red. Very strange. I have no reason to suspect the trader was had sought to mislead me in any way - they were very good with me and the car is in outstanding condition all round, just as they described it.

The car drives really smoothly and doesn't sound like it has a sports exhaust fitted as it is pretty quiet, even under load. I did test drive another car more local to me before I bought this one. The other car I test drove was a 2009 manual and I seem to remember it sounding a bit more course....somehow more...industrial, if that makes sense?! Though maybe my mind and memory are playing tricks on me.

So overall, I have no complaints to how the car drives or sounds and the red exhaust tips are nothing more than a curiosity.

I will be booking it in with Mitz shortly to have a Cobra system fitted, as I would like a little more aural drama when pressing on and this was always my plan, as the rather dull standard exhaust note is a frequent comment from owners.

Before I change ther exhaust however, I am still intruiged by the mystery of the red exhaust! I have taken some more pictures tonight which are below. Can anyone elighten me? All input/ hypotheses/ conspiracy theories welcome!

photo%202_zpss056ecfd.jpg

photo%204_zps32ed4hl9.jpg

photo%203_zpsrklzh0e8.jpg

photo%201_zpsfkokxqaz.jpg

Yea ^ what he said up there :lol: on the last pic you can see a little overspray at the bottom. The exhaust looks standard to me, and if it's like the 350Z one then that part gets a bit grotty, the previous owner has probably just tidied it up. :) Doesn't look too bad like that to me :teeth: Think yourself lucky it's still red, shows you're not burning oil, my nice shiny titanium one is sooty as f**k :lol: