Pocket Surfer2 - anyone know if it's any good ?

neo

to be honest its not as good as you want it to be.

sure the all in price for unlimited (well 20 hours a month unless you upgrade) internet access is not bad.

Doesnt do multimedia (no sound) and video doesnt really work.

Basically its like a citrix client (if you know what that is) over GPRS onto a server running a web browser, it does load pages pretty quickly so navigating around links is not bad.

The keyboard is a little slow to use (much too small to touchtype and the typing interface is clunky) so just trying to send an email is a pain in the @r$e. I find I can text an email faster from my mobile phone than I can from this device.

Having a reasonable size screen is useful and its handy when you just want to check something quickly (its a pub quiz-toilet cheat-marvel) but not really a serious competitor to a laptop (not that it pretends to be but I hoped it might save me carrying a laptop to some meetings and make do with googlemail/googledocs and then update them when back at the office)or even a wireless PDA.

Gadget factor - 8/10

Early adopter factor - 9/10

Practicality - 4/10

price - 8/10

Frustration to use 10/10!

thank you for the detailed and honest reply :)

thought it was too good to be true :blush:

think i'll stick to me psp and *cough* wireless networks ;) for when i'm out n about and need the net :teeth: