Defi oil temp gauge - sensor fitting advice on turbo Z

rasco

Si I've bought Defi "Racer" boost and oil temperature gauges. Couple of issues re fitting and location.

Where do people normally locate their oil temp sensors? I've read that a sandwich plate is the easiest option, but I've already got one fitted for the car's oil cooler, and wondered what the long-term effects of using two sandwich plates are. I found a thread from a couple years ago where Keyser had done exactly this. Has anyone had any bad experiences doing it? Sandwich plate here: http://rspec.co.uk/gauge-sensor-adaptors/oil-temp-pressure/oil-pressure-temp-sandwich-plate-adaptor-m20-x-1.5mm

There also appears to be a small screw above the sump plug, I assume I've got an HKS sump, as I've got a single HKS turbo, (the car isn't with me at the moment, so I haven't been able to look for myself), anyone tried putting a temp sensor there? Apparently there may also be a place to use on my turbo feed oil restrictor. Not sure if I want one there though??

Also, the defi sensor is 1/8PT (not 1/8NPT).... anyone found this to be a problem with the sandwich plate etc?

Thanks!

I have an oil pan spacer which includes a temp sensor port for my supercharged one but not sure it will be any good for you as you may have a different sump?

https://conceptzperf...ion.php?II=2144

Cheers for the reply :)

Yeah I've not looked under the car (can't at the moment!) but would assume it would have a larger sump already. No spacer fitted already by the sounds of it. Looks like this screw above my sump plug is the best bet then? Looking at photos of the standard sump, there's no screw there, so assume its an HKS sump specific..... and I can't think of any reason for that screw being there other than for a sensor.....?? Need to find out what adaptor I'll need for this 1/8PT sensor....grr.

• 2 weeks later...

Currently im using two sandwich plates, no leaks as of yet

On the road oil temps read 80-90C

On Track 110-120C

I may be wrong but i thought best reading would be to have the sensor in oil flow before its about to be pumped around the engine rather than sat in a sump waiting to be used.