Major Wheel Damage after hitting Pot Hole

Andrew Donnison

Driving back home on the M20 in Kent last week I hit a pot hole at 70Mph, the car bottomed out hard and I thought I might have damaged the driver side front wheel as I instantly got a steering wheel vibration. With still 230 miles left to travel I carried on as there was little chance of doing anything late at night. The next morning I went to my local tyre garage for a wheel check and balance. Upon removing the cap to undo the bolts they noticed that two bolts on the driver’s side were hand tight. As they placed the wheel brace on the bolt they sheared off with very little pressure. They checked the other wheels and these also had sheared studs? In total 7 sheared on all four wheels. They refused to carry on and remove the wheels.

The 350 was put on a recovery truck and taken to my local garage for repair. The garage have removed the wheel and were horrified at the bodge job the previous owner had done in fitting the wheels. They had extended the studs with a nut and bolt and extra thread and modified the spacer plate. They say it was a matter of time before something more catastrophic had occurred. They also questioned how it had passed an MOT in September 2014.

The problem the garage have now is working out how to resolve the issue? Is this just a case of getting the correct Nissan 3rd party Spacer for the wheel or is this a new wheel job? Demon Tweeks have quite a few Nissan type in their catalogue or is the spacer specific to the wheels fitted? The current wheel manufacturer is unknown as they can’t see any identifying names and the tyre sizes are 245/30/zr20

Anyone have any suggestions?

I will have all the parts in stock to repair your issues, however best to get some images up here so an informed decision can be made on what parts you actually do require.

It would also be a plan to check that the stud holes in the wheels are not elongated and also that the tyre wall (inner and outer) is not damaged.

Plenty pre owned wheels, tyres, spacers, hubs, nuts and studs etc. in stock.

Alex. :)

Edited by ZMANALEX