Engine cut out

Argyll

About two weeks ago very shortly after installing my AEM cold air induction kit I was driving along a motorway sitting about 50mph as it was quite foggy. Without any warning I noticed the red warning light situated on top of the dashboard where the windscreen meets the dash started flashing. I then tried to accelerate but the engine had cut out! I pulled over and restarted the engine and drove off again. I must admit the car did seem a bit rough since installing the induction kit.

Anyway once I got back home I contacted my local garage who asked me to bring it in for a check. they said it may be an immobiliser problem. I then drove round to where my immobiliser was fitted and after some questions the chap said it would have been my cold air induction kit! he said that as I had just recently installed it then the ECU had to reprogramme itself so to speak as it was now taking in more air and it should settle down within a few weeks.

Now does this sound like sense the guy is talking or should I book it in to the garage for a proper check up? It hasn't cut out since but it's always in the back of my mind. It does make sense though as I was driving through some thick fog at the time when it cut out.

Most definitely immobilizer -- strange behaviors of security light in the dash always means immobilizer, and most commonly the Body Control Module (BCM) in some way, shape, or form is the culprit. For instance, if you turn the ignition on and the security light comes on, the BCM has locked ignition and sends a no start signal to the ECM -- you can crank the engine all day and it won't start until you unlock the BCM: ingnition on for 5 seconds then off for 5 seconds and repeat sequence two more times (then run around your Z clockwise three times chanting "start you mother" incantations) and crank her up. :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...