Weird exhaust fitment

cb350

I fitted a Toyosports exhaust last weekend, I know the fitment on these can be a bit dodgy.. but sadly I have a very limited budget at the moment and for the price (eBay - £230) I was extremely impressed with it. Fitment was slightly off, but it wasn't too bad

Anyway, suddenly today I'm having trouble getting over speedbumps - it's scraping really badly in the middle.

Got underneath the car, and it looks like it's dropped or something. It's resting on the crossmember towards the back of the car. I tried to physically lift it up, and it's rock solid in place. Using a long lever to lift the exhaust, it raised about half-an-inch before it wouldn't move any more, I really seems quite resolutely fixed in position, but couldn't have been this low when I fitted it to the car.

I've uploaded some pics. I don't remember the OEM exhaust being anywhere near that low - in fact I thought the crossmember used to be the lowest point on the car.

Has anyone had trouble with a new exhaust shifting over time? Would it be possible that the odd fitment was putting stress on the y-pipe (which is still original, 12 years old!), and it's sort of sagging at that point?

What do people think, should I swap out that y-pipe as well, or do I need to adjust the hangers at the back of the car?

If my bank balance was up to it, I'd obviously have got a more expensive exhaust, so aside from the likely correct answer of 'get a better exhaust', does anyone have any thoughts or opinions on what's going on? I'm just a little confused by how rock solid it is, like even if I adjust the hangers, it's going to be really difficult to actually push the pipe up any further than it is now.. but then it's clearly dropped, because I wasn't grounding on speedbumps earlier in the week.

Cheers,

Chris.

post-14143-0-13181300-1425145835_thumb.jpg

post-14143-0-95544900-1425145849_thumb.jpg

i bought a japspeed despite all the hatred as i was on a tight budget to after jot expecting my clutch to go on the day i purchased the car lol. isnt there a hanger in the middle? have you checked all the rubbers? mine had a slight issue similar to yours but my middle rubber was too slak!

You can clearly see that the flange connection between the midpipe and y pipe is misaligned and sagging unto the w brace. There is a small puddle of water which confirms that the connection is not secure and there is a leak. Surely you exhaust not can't be right🙀.

Get that car on a ramp and retighten all the flanges sequentially to get the alignment right. As also mentioned new mounts could be helpful. I recommend urethane mounts as they never sag over time. Also make sure that all the mounting points have been use to support the exhaust correctly.

You can clearly see that the flange connection between the midpipe and y pipe is misaligned and sagging unto the w brace. There is a small puddle of water which confirms that the connection is not secure and there is a leak. Surely you exhaust not can't be right🙀.

Get that car on a ramp and retighten all the flanges sequentially to get the alignment right. As also mentioned new mounts could be helpful. I recommend urethane mounts as they never sag over time. Also make sure that all the mounting points have been use to support the exhaust correctly.

Must admit, I did try tightening it again today without success (seemed to be really tight), but you must be right.

Thanks for all the replies, the rubbers seemed OK but that middle mounting is going through at a weird angle and pulling the rubber down, so I was intending to try to bend the hanger a bit to get it nice and straight - I didn't know you could get urethane mounts, sounds like that could be good idea so long as I can get that middle hanger fitting better.

You are deaf my friend. Longtime ago I had a K1 exhaust and it was leaking and resting on the w brace. It rattled the whole car and drone and you could hear the blowing a bit because it was so loud but you hear it. Let the car idle and stand outside and you will.

You are deaf my friend. Longtime ago I had a K1 exhaust and it was leaking and resting on the w brace. It rattled the whole car and drone and you could hear the blowing a bit because it was so loud but you hear it. Let the car idle and stand outside and you will.

Well, I could hear the old exhaust blowing - that was a small hole near the silencer. I would say this exhaust currently sounds very slightly louder than stock. I had it idling a long time after install, and again today before I got back underneath it. I'm inclined to agree it must be blowing as you say, because that's the only thing that makes sense, but it must be either an incredibly small amount, or the exhaust is going to get extremely quiet after I tighten it up! :)

Will report back once I've checked it out and (hopefully) cured it simply by re-tightening all the bolts!

Well, managed to cure the problem today - first time I tightened it all up, I tightened the centre section to the y-pipe first, and then connected it up to the silencer. There was a bit of an alignment issue at the back. This time, I untightened it all, and then ensured the silencer was aligned properly to the back first. Then tightened up the centre section to the y-pipe. I had to really twist the centre section to get it to sit nicely with the back box, so I think it's just a matter of the fitment not being too great. Once I'd tightened it all up, there was about a 5/6mm gap to the cross member, so I guess I'll have to see if it drops down again over time. Made sure to do it up really tightly. The fitment to the middle hanger isn't great either, I think most of the problem is caused by that.

Interestingly, it really wasn't blowing - not noticeably anyway. Felt around the join with my hand with the engine running and also had a good look - the mating faces were tight up against each other. There obviously wasn't a very good seal though, the water was coming out under pressure when the engine was revved.