Renting a property through Airbnb?

liamgdr

So I currently live my girl friend at her parents house, we are looking for a place of our own to move into, today I found a perfect apartment on zoopla I requested a viewing and was emailed back a couple of hours later.

I'm quite suspicious, it seems like someone might be trying to draw us into a scam, I'll explain further.

First email:

• The landlord states he is looking for a tenant to move in as soon as possible.
  • He has signed a contract to work in Greece for next four years so his apartment in the UK is empty.
  • He states he would like to use www.airbnb.com for the rental agreement and transactions of money.
  • He mentions he is not currently living in the UK.

My response:

• We express we are interested and want to take it further.
  • We ask if there is anyone in Manchester who can show us around the property.

Second email:

• He says no one can show us the property but using Airbnb both parties are protected as they hold funds until 24 hrs after we have moved in and everything is ok.

I've responded asking more questions about the flat but the more I think about it the more it seems like a scam, any ideas?

If genuine I would rent on a one week agreement first to see the property then pursue a longer agreement. Im 95% sure I'm going to walk away from this but would like to know if anyone else has had any similar experiences.

Cheers, Liam.

The AirBnB info is correct, and we have used them, but for holiday rentals. Not heard of long term home rentals through them. Maybe he's trying to save on agency fees if he's found a holiday rental company cheaper.

Either way if he's cutting corners with services that an agency can supply, i.e. viewing the property (a basic necessity surely?), it would ring alarm bells for any support should there be problems along the way. Whether he is legit or not, you need to protect yourselves. You are probably right to keep looking.

For a week, yeah I'd go with that. For anything longer (as in months and years) then no, go somewhere that will give you the protection you need as a tenant.

What if he comes home early and decides that he needs the place? You're pretty much out on your ears then and there.