Locking wheel nut broken

Danohosko

Hi guys,

So today i finally got my Rays put on the car (after i painted them), i also had a set of 25mm spacers on back, and a set of 20mm put on front. I also changed the front brake pads.

Went to a tyre place as i need a new tyre and to swap the rear tyres off my old wheels.

Had the spacers put on, then changed the front pads, and then had the wheels put on. Drove my car home (say 6 miles) bit of braking involved to wear in the new pads.

I thought i'd give the car a quick clean off before i take a picture, so whacked out the hose and spray the car over a few times, including the wheels.

Whilst i was wiping down the drivers side door, i head this loud 'pop/crackle' sound from the drivers side front, so had a peek, and then found the top of the locking wheel nut had cracked and popped off about 1-2ft away from the car?!

Any idea what has caused this? Gonna be a pain for someone to get the wheel nut off now, haven't got a clue how they are gonna do it...

It's nice and easy to blame the tyre place who put it all on, but it was my cousin who works there so don't want to blame him.

Surely the wheel nut couldn't have got that hot that the hose water cracked it? It had been at least 10 minutes from arriving home to the wheel nut breaking.

New wheels, new spacers, new front pads, and a hose off, something has gone wrong that has broken it... (new to me)

Pretty sure the locking nuts are the originals sold with the car back in 05.

Any theories?

Pictures here:

http://s46.photobuck...73d88f.jpg.html

http://s46.photobuck...f8d445.jpg.html

http://s46.photobuck...7d1206.jpg.html

Cheeers

Edited by Danohosko

Must be the cold :lol:

Sorry couldn't resist that comment as I'm constantly using that right now. Must be the temperature change, your nut was hot ( oo-err ;) ) and then when you sprayed with the cold water it cracked. The new pads probably heated up your wheels.

• Like 1

he did use a torque wrench though so shouldn't that stop it over-tightening? Like the look of that tool, will be handy to have in my box haha

Ah could be a rookie mistake by me then :/

Was a bit silly of me really, won't be doing that again either way haha :)

Edited by Danohosko
  • Like 1

Were these new Spacers?

Mine broke all 4 lock nuts. We used a good torque bar. I think it was due to the nut being 'Pulled' through. and maybe the Lock nuts werent strong enough to pull through.???

How did you remove the nuts after they all broke? Also did you replace them with new locking nuts or just go back to standard ones?