Replaced my front left wheel bearing! Just a few questions..

MCook

I have just fitted my new wheel bearing yesterday, I am adamant that I will attempt to fix all the problems with my zed myself. I have literally no experience and no clue what I am doing but the wheel bearing replacement went very well. Admittedly it is one of the easier jobs to do.. and there may have been a few spanners/wrenches thrown across the hanger.. and a few bleeding knuckles...

But the satisfaction when I got in the car and it was absolutely silent and going in a straight line, was amazing, I was so chuffed!

When I got the old bearing off and attempted to spin it by hand it was nearly solid, and when I did get it spinning it sounded awful.

Now my queries...

- As I did it all with hand wrenches etc, no power tools, will I be best to get back in there and tighten all the bolts I took out, just incase?

- Also when on full lock right, there is a tinny tapping sound, which I think is the dust shield, which may have been bent in the removal of the bearing. Is there anything else this noise could be?, it may have been there before but I could not hear it over the noise of the bearing!

My next job is banana arms and bushing.. then maybe I can get my wheels refurbished and get a overdue service!

Should I be taking it easy with driving on a newly fitted bearing?

311ni1f.jpg

All the bolts should be tightened up to the correct spec with a torque wrench

Torque specs are:

Four 17mm bolts holding hub assembly: 78.5-98.1nm/ 58-72ft-lb

Two 22mm bolts holding brake caliper: 151-152nm/ 111.4-112.1lb-ft

As regards taking it easy.......just drive it!!

• Like 1

Nice work doing it all on your own. Pretty sweet garage to work in too.

You really should have torqued them up but sometimes I 'forget' and just do it by hand.

Ok, thank you for the replies! I will give it a week and then tighten everything properly with a torque wrench.