Has anyone got their car back from the pound...

TiN

...without paying?

Basically, I highly believe that my car was towed illegally. I went off to get a parking permit this morning (just moved to London - nice welcome!), and when I returned to the car, it was gone!

Now, the street that I was on had enforced permit/meter parking from 8.30am to 6.30pm, and according to the website, they can't do anything until 15 minutes have elapsed from the "legal" time, i.e. 8.45am in this case.

I returned to the car at about 8.42am (I was watching the clock all the time, though mainly because I didn't want to be late for work), and it was nowhere to be seen! Even if I had returned at, say 8.45, surely they'd take a few minutes to get the car all loaded up?

I sure as hell am not paying the penalty notice, because I'm not accepting it, but is there any chance that I can also not pay the release fee for the pound? Or does anyone fancy accompanying me tonight? ;-)

(Zedrush, I'm looking at you... ;-))

Cheers!

Tin

One point, what if the parking attendant that organised for your Z to be towed, had a watch/equipment was slightly fast??!! Probably irrelevant what time your watch says. Doesn't help you I know, but you'll get my drift.

From what I've seen both in NZ and my time in the UK and elsewhere, if parking time enforced areas, they sit and lay in wait for you to walk away from your car, and the tow truck will be literally just around the corner.

I gather you did buy the parking permit that morning?

Not knowing anything about how the permits in London work, I would assume the permit covers you for the day you buy it? If so, and you can prove you bought the ticket before 8.45 then I would think you have a good case for getting it back free of charge.

Tracys brother once had his car towed, and the pound never reported it to the police and never sent him any letter etc to say what had happened - they also forgot to record it coming in at the pound. It was two weeks before someone at the pound owned up to finding it, his insurance had already begun processing the claim for the car being stolen. :scare:

I think given the circumstances, you could make a case to show that you arent just using the "I was going to buy a permit, honest gov" and you actually were buying a pass.