Bad front differential bushes?

kano

I've been having a problem with a humming/droning noise coming from the nearside rear for a while now. See this thread: http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/91282-hummingdroning-noise-from-rear/

Today I went under the car and had a really good look. One thing that stood out was the differential had play in the front bushes. I could move the diff 3-4mm on one of them. The rubber washers which are part of the bushes could be easily rotated.

I took the car to a local garage for their opinion on the worn bushes, the guy said he didn't think that they would cause the humming noise. Is he right?

If I were to loosen the front diff bolts do you think they could be tightened to get rid of the play in them?

I don't want to replace the bushes as I might as well buy a replacement diff and whack that on instead.

Cheers fellas

There should be no movement on the front or rear diff bushings as you have described.

I am surprised that you are not getting a clunk when accelerating or de accelerating.

I would not rule out that the bushing issue may be contributing to your hum, but I have not read your other thread.

Alex. :)

There should be no movement on the front or rear diff bushings as you have described.

I am surprised that you are not getting a clunk when accelerating or de accelerating.

I would not rule out that the bushing issue may be contributing to your hum, but I have not read your other thread.

Alex. :)

Cheers. Do you think it'd be ok for me to tighten the front diff bolts to take up the slack in the tired bushings? Could that knacker the prop shaft/pinion angle? :)

The angles for the prop and drive shaft are already kaput with so much movement.

If the front bushing bolts are loose then tighten them up .

If they are tight then you will have to replace the bushings.

Thanks for your reply mate. I'll get the car on jack stands tomorrow and will see if they will tighten. :)

Edited by kano