worrying dashboard lights

rfrancsics

Set off to work as usual. Cold-ish morning (not freezing). Went approx 1 mile when both the Brake (not ABS) warning light + ESP Off light + Slippery Surface warning light ALL came on at same time!

Nothing felt unusual to me. ESP would not go out with the button below dashboard.

Any ideas Zed Gurus???

Turn ioff the ignition and back on again!

This happens if you switch off the ESP and do Donuts!

If they are still on you could try doing a pedal ECU reset but I'd check with someone more knowlegable than myself first!

switching the ignition off and on again at the next junction was only way I could cancel the ESP Off light.

Hasn't come back since (following 50 mile round trip)

I also checked brake fluid levels- seemed OK to me. Mysterous...

Oh, and I certainly wasn't doing donuts- in fact as the engine was still slightly cold & I was taking it quite easily...

switching the ignition off and on again at the next junction was only way I could cancel the ESP Off light.

Hasn't come back since (following 50 mile round trip)

I also checked brake fluid levels- seemed OK to me. Mysterous...

Oh, and I certainly wasn't doing donuts- in fact as the engine was still slightly cold & I was taking it quite easily...

I would put this down to some sort of system crash. Probably just best to keep an eye on it, if it happens again i would take it to the dealers to check out. :thumbs:

That is most commonly an indication of momentary Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) and/or Electronic Throttle Control (ETC) failure or loss of communication. Typically seen as a 2135 code (TPS). If the failure is more than momentary, the ECM will put the engine into safe mode (2,000-2,500 rpm max). It can usually be brought out of safe mode by turning the ignition off and then back on. If that doesn't work, then the TPS/ETC has failed completely. If that is the case, then you'll have to replace the entire throttle body -- buy a Nissan factory rebuilt one to save a bundle of money. If the condition you experienced keeps coming back, I'd replace the throttle body before you get stranded on the road with a completely dead TPS/ETC.

For now I'd check the connector on the TPS/ETC located on the firewall side of the throttle body -- make sure it's firmly seated. If you want to see what total TPS/ETC failure looks like, just unplug that connection. Your Z will start, but the engine will be in safe mode and the same lights you saw will be on. When you plug it back in, you'll have to clear the 2135 code to get your lights to go out.