350Z Stock brembos

lewis hill

Hi lads, does anyone know the max bhp and torque you should have before upgrading the brakes? Either better quality discs and pads or a big brake kit? Im not sure what discs and pads i have but lets assume they are pagid. Is there much difference in them and say DBA?

Thanks

Lewis

Lewis it really depends on your driving style and what you are using the car for. E.g. Track days, fast road or just tootling back & forth to work.

Also depends on how much you want to spend. Big brake kits are generally big money with a new front & rear combo costing around £2K at the lower end of the scale rising to thousands & thousands for a race ready set up.

If you get them second hand then obviously it won't be as much but still you're looking at £1K bear minimum I would say.

If your car is just running standard power or close to it then a good set of discs, pads, braided brake lines and decent brake fluid will be more than good enough for most applications ~ even track use depending on the discs/pads/fluid you use.

If you want people to recommend you something to give you ideas then you need to let them know as I stated the use it's for & your budget. :thumbs:

• Like 1

Lewis it really depends on your driving style and what you are using the car for. E.g. Track days, fast road or just tootling back & forth to work.

Also depends on how much you want to spend. Big brake kits are generally big money with a new front & rear combo costing around £2K at the lower end of the scale rising to thousands & thousands for a race ready set up.

If you get them second hand then obviously it won't be as much but still you're looking at £1K bear minimum I would say.

If your car is just running standard power or close to it then a good set of discs, pads, braided brake lines and decent brake fluid will be more than good enough for most applications ~ even track use depending on the discs/pads/fluid you use.

If you want people to recommend you something to give you ideas then you need to let them know as I stated the use it's for & your budget. :thumbs:

Thanks for the reply. Yeh I didn't really think of all that information haha but I'm looking to do an engine swap to get roughly 400bhp and torque to start off with. I may track it now and then, maybe a couple of times a year to test the engine :)but mainly just driving to and from work,not really aggressive driving but putting my foot down wheb I feel like it lol guess most people are the same :D

So with that sort of power it may well be worth investing in some decent brakes now rather than later. As I mentioned to put a new big brake disc kit on the front & rear you're talking around the £2K mark depending on the pads you choose to go with the kit.

For example: http://www.h-dev.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=78_169_293_463_464&products_id=25347

You could always do just the fronts though which would make it cheaper to do but personally I'd want to do the backs as well.

Another forum trader here that does big brake kits, Tarmac Sportz; http://www.tarmacsportz.co.uk/products.aspx?CategoryId=d3c121aa-398b-47ec-9963-7c0f34e0d675

If you decide just to stick with the Brembos and change the discs/pad/brake lines/fluid then there are plenty of forum traders on here to help you with that as well. The Cougar Store, Clark Motorsport and Horsham Developments as above just to name a few.

I currently run EBC Turbo Groove discs, Ferodo DS2500 pads, Goodridge braided brake lines and Motul RBF600 brake fluid. This works well for me currently as a fast road set up but I'm yet to test out how they perform under sustained hard use as such on a track day.

Motul RBF660 brake fluid would probably be better for sustained track day use.

Again though Lewis it does all depend on how hard you are on the brakes, some of the other FI guys on here run a similar set up to me which is working for them but then others have or will be upgrading to big brake disc kits. With more power comes more speed so obviously you will be entering corners from straights at higher speeds meaning you will be needing to brake harder.

If you plan on keeping the car for a long time, increasing the power further and tracking it regularly then personally if you can I'd be looking at a big brake kit. :thumbs:

• Like 1