Exhaust Volume

bytespc

Hey up you lot, running my Z now since late June and diligently putting in Super and I have noticed a definite increase in growl, whilst the car was having its two new front tyres today the system was given the once over and it's in remarkably good nick no splits or holes and both flexis are intact , is this just a result of the pipes being cleared a bit by the use of the correct octane fuel or could I have anothet expense on the horizon ?.

Have a look at where the mid pipe meets the rear silencer, if the volume has increased its usually because it's corroded away in this area... :)

We looked at that today and all looks sound the volumn seems to be more under the seat sort of area .

Depends on the age of the car and how its been driven. from new they were fairly mute but do get more of a roar as they get more miles on. if its a recent thing and not progressive then may be a leak as the man above said.

I'd say is definitely a progressive thing as I have no idea what fuel previous owners have used.

Also read on several forums ref BP ultimate causing louder exhaust note and currently have a tank full, usually use Tesco as recomended by Jason Plato but needs must.

Just double check the system, they are pretty naff as standard IMO . :)

Yeah I'm getting the general idea that shortly it's going to need replacing, oddly it's not always when you'd expect as when cold she's fine but once she's warmed up .

I've recently noticed a loud blowing and it was the top (i.e. invisible from under the car) of the Y where the twin pipes from the cats join. Welded it up and back to normal. A new Y pipe is around £250 (Cobra at least).

• Like 1