Anyone noticed this...???

oldbonesmcgee

Hi all, local yob here,

I have noticed something interesting (read: pretty awesome) that seems to be a result of the syncro-rev.

So I'm sure you've all revved your car (those with exhausts anyway) and been slightly disappointed that it takes so long for the revs to come down (no? just me?) as Ferraris have that awesome throttle blip roar that dies away instantly and sounds awesome.

Anyway I always thought this was just down to the massive heavy flywheel Nisaan fitted to the car for NVH reasons.

HOWEVER

If you are drive in first gear, until the revs are maybe just over 2k rpm, then dip the clutch and rev the engine (don't ask how I discovered this) the revs die away very very quickly and it sounds AMAZING! With my exhaust the burble sounds mean.

So it seems that the syncro-rev is cutting the throttle totally to bring the revs down as quickly as possible back to the 2k rpm they should be.....which means that the ECU is softening the fall down of the revs when the engine is free revving. This actually makes sense, because we all know V6's aren't the smoothest engines, and having the engine rev up and down really quickly would cause the car to rock (already does a little bit) so it doesn't seem unreasonable for Nissan to implement this.

Now the question is.... how to remove this, does an UpRev fix this? I remember Mark at Abbey mentioning that there is a map that allows 1:1 throttle positioning, presumably that would do the trick, anyone have this and can comment? The 1:1 map wouldn't be ideal due to the cruise control no longer functioning but I have a lightweight flywheel ready to fit and I'm that much of a sucker for throttle response (yob) I might be willing to do it.

Have fun testing this out :p

Cheers,

Dan

• Like 1

Posted it in 350z by accident my bad.

You do get cruise control with normal uprev maps (where you get the 5 different ones)

But the 1:1 throttle map isn't compatible with the cruise control unit, so you are then unable to use it. As far as I know with the 1:1 map you cannot switch between the 5 maps like the others but i don't know that for sure.

Ok try this, it works every time for me this way....

in second gear at about 2k rpm, change into first with syncro-rev on but don't take the clutch out. So the revs should jump up (the syncro-rev we know and love) and you still have the clutch depressed. Now give it a rev. You should find you need to push the pedal further to get it to rev, small inputs do less than they normally would. And when it revs its faster than normal.

I'll get a mate to film this with a comparison to normal revving.