Bedford Autodrome Mon Sep 1st - anyone going?

Turned out to be a very enjoyable track despite the lack of elevation changes. Much longer than I had anticipated (full GT course), with some pretty difficult corners and a "wipeout section" right in front of the paddock for everyone to see you spin into oblivion! Everything from 4WD scoobies to Exiges did pirouettes and it also gave me a serious wobble, despite pussyfooting around after seeing previous errors. Highlights included a £90k GT40 replica from Scuderia Autosport with an absolute amazing Ford 5.4l V8. As usual the GT3 RS and GTRs thought they owned the track...

I was the only Zed out of 60 cars there. Moderate to heavy rain all day made for an interesting drive - I'm liking these stiff Whiteline ARBs although they're definitely for sideways show rather than go. The MPSS felt better in the wet than RE050 and gave more progressive oversteer feedback with the Whitelines (running 31/30PSI F/R). It's also the first track that has really made me think what a good differential would do for the Zed's handling - something to investigate. I was previously a bit disappointed with the DS2500 pads but they held up to repeated abuse very well so all is now forgiven. Initial bite is so-so on the road but they never once faded on track. Worth the money despite the incessant squeal the generate in town braking conditions.

I also did seven laps in a GT86 and I have to say that is one brilliant chassis - really smooth, progressive oversteer and the engine (despite reports to the contrary) seemed great to me - revvy, eager and sonorous for a 4-pot boxer. I really like this car and while it lacks the mechanical grip of something like an Exige it was a hell of a lot of fun to chuck around and not as slow as you'd think. The brakes also held up surprisingly well, although it's only dealing with 1180kg kerb weight.

Other than that Bedford was the usual Palmersport operation - very slick, well maintained facilities and great customer service. Would definitely head back there. Thoroughly recommended and don't listen to the "elevation nazis", it's a fun track!

DT