Hesitation

JohnPat

Since I got my Z Roadster a couple of months ago it has been hesitant over the first mile or so with a noticeable "bounce" of the rev counter around 1750rpm. Bearing in mind I live in Oman with an ambient temperature of over 30 degrees plus all day I did not put it down to the engine being cold.

I had the car serviced by the dealer; oil change (forgot to check what grade), new filters and sparks etc but the problem persisted, somedays worse than others but still there. Having searched a few forums for ideas the MAF sensors came up as a possible cause. Sussed out how to clean them but could not find any MAF sensor cleaner in country, I checked all the connections on the sensors and ensured they were screwed down tight. The passenger side MAF sensor screwheads are badly worn which causes me some concern as they must have had some attention before. Other forums suggested the accelerator "relearning" process which I followed, still the problem persisted if a little less jerky.

Today I had the oil changed again, not sure what was in there from the dealer but I used BP VISCO 5000 5W40 this time, best available at the local garage. The problem now seems to have resolved itself but will monitor over the coming days.

I am returning to UK next month and might consider bringing the MAF sensors with me for a clean. MAF cleaner is readily available in UK but cannot be posted out here and bringing a can back in my hold luggage might not go down to well as it is a solvent and potentially explosive!

Looking forward to a smoother ride :-)

I used IPA, it's used cleaning circuit boards and stuff. I didn't use a brush, just agitated it around and then left it there for a while In it. After half an hour I took it out, let it dry and then plugged it back in. All good :) you must get an awful lot of sand build up in places our cars never would. Good luck and I'm sure you will get it sorted :)