Stereo/Sub whining sound

Davewagon

Please can someone help diagnose this noise and tell me how to fix it?!

I do a 35 min commute twice a day and it will send round the bend!

Seems to be radio related as when the radio is working, the whine would disappear. But lately the whine is permanent...

Nissan 350z stereo/speaker whine:

Many thanks,

Dave

Can't view the youtube clip for some reason but I also have an electronic whine in mine as well even when the radio is off. Nothing much but my ears can pick it up. Not everyone can hear high frequency sounds though.

I thought it must be normal. And put it down to the electronics for the rear speakers.

Now got the video and mine is nothing like that at all. Very odd noise.

I came to the same question, is it only fm radio that is causing the issues? What happens under am signals and the cd player.

Right, played around this morning and not much success.

Putting a CD in, and changing between the AM/FM frequencies made no difference. Then just to confuse matters further - I restarted the car and the noise disappeared - the stereo still didn't work despite being on (as if there was no power to speakers (and I heard a 'thump' noise - like when you plug a microphone/amp jack into a speaker).

Makes me wonder if it could be a loose wire or the amp or such?

Any suggestions?

Thanks again,

Dave

I must admit I'm not sure where the buzz is coming from.

I thought it was coming from behind my head (I.e. The sub behind the driver's seat) but after moving around the car I'm no longer sure.

I'll have a cracking at disconnecting the amps

Thanks for the replies -

Usually there isn't faint whine that I can hear (not to say there isn't one, i've just never noticed it).

Now though, the (rather loud) whine is either constantly there, whether the head unit is on or off (as can be seen from the video), or,

the whine is absent, whether the head unit is on or off (at which point no sound comes through the speakers anyway, whether the HU is on or not)

This is leaning me towards the amp then, as Mike says it is always on - so if it's playing up the noise will either be there or not - regardless of the HU being on or off...

So...

1) Just to clarify, are we talking about the amp in the boot or behind the driver's seat

2) In the meantime, is there a fuse I can pull to kill it until the weekend??

Many thanks,

David