The reason we change the banana bushes!

Dave Bull

Ever since I bought the car back in December 2013, and with only 18'000 miles on the clock, I was always wary of the bushes on the compression arms (or banana bar as they are commonly referred to).

Well after reading several stories of the stock units collapsing and killing balljoints and other components, I decided to remove the weak link and renew the bushes with a set of SPL Pro Spherical bushes.

Well, tonight was the night. I put the car up on the ramp, removed the front subframe and what I found shocked me!

DSC_4596_zpsc6ntrcx7.jpg

What I found was that the bush had completely collapsed and had actually started to wear into the metal frame.

I removed the arm in order to press out the bush and the actual failure was even more obvious.

DSC_4592_zpsugvhfhhc.jpg

So out with the old and in the with the new spherical bushing.

Nothing but the best...

4138.jpg

DSC_4597_zpsf493uq67.jpg

DSC_4600_zpsgekw65pq.jpg

And now that it's fitted, it's all the more solid and most importantly, no knocking noise.

DSC_4606_zpsw9qoz8lb.jpg

Edited by Dave Bull
  • Like 1

What was the knocking noise like?

I thought one of my bushes has failed so I was going to swap them with SuperPros, but I was told today that it's the ball joint making the noise (this was said after they drove my car). It's like a knocking which we think is coming from the left hand side and a slight wheel wobble. Obviously if it's the ball joint then I will require an entire arm at a much greater cost, but I thought most of the time it was failed bushes.

Knocking is usually the ball joint - the bushes don't often get as bad as the pics above, so no knocking until the arm comes away from the bush and start hitting the chassis etc.

Ah ok, that makes sense as the last time I checked my bushes (few months ago) they looked intact. Need to try and confirm which side it is, I've heard it's extremely difficult/impossible to find play in the ball joint, if I take the arm aofr nd look at the ball joint/move it will that confirm it?

Thanks Jez :)

Edited by Jp606

Mine went through its MOT ok today. Got them to check these bushes as I'm (sometimes) getting a clonk from the front nearside. Got an advisory on both of these bushes, but no significant play.

I'll get them replaced in the next few weeks, I think.