Deposits then detonation....

H5

After the reply to my question (kindly provided by Mike), if these deposits are down to oil consumption, if oil levels in the engine stay constant between services is that a green light that all is ok? :)

After the reply to my question (kindly provided by Mike), if these deposits are down to oil consumption, if oil levels in the engine stay constant between services is that a green light that all is ok? :)

I would say that is a healthy indicator.

Hope this helps a little :)

Guest prescience

I am genuinely shocked that the cylinder bores were slightly oval, if this were the case for certain of the Rev-Up (300ps) motors used on the MY06 and GT4 models, it would be a reasonable explanation for the excessive oil consumption seen with those engines :thumbdown:

I am genuinely shocked that the cylinder bores were slightly oval, if this were the case for certain of the Rev-Up (300ps) motors used on the MY06 and GT4 models, it would be a reasonable explanation for the excessive oil consumption seen with those engines :thumbdown:

It would indeed and would go some way to explaining the reason why my MY06 has used approx 0.5 ltr per 1000 miles since day one and now on 12,000 miles is still maintaining that level of consumption.

Oddly enough, the engines we have seen this issue on so far have been pre Rev Up.

The way forward is to find the cause methinks :dry:

I guess my concern is what level of consumption is dangerous, and what are the indicators to prevent it? Last thing I want is my exhaust propelling rods down the motorway!! :scare:

It seems to me that there are two separate issues here.

Firstly the build up of carbon deposits eventually leading to the potential the issues I mentioned before. I suspect this will only be a very long term problem due to the adaptave spark strategies built into the ecu which alters the ignition advance to suit changing circumstances.

Secondly there is the nastiness encountered due to an engine seizure after allowing the engine oil to run out (if not checked and replenished regularly).

Guest prescience

Oddly enough, the engines we have seen this issue on so far have been pre Rev Up.

Actually, 3 steps for Nissan.

1A. Find the cause (practicable and probably done).

1B. Design the cause out of future builds (practicable and probably done).

2. For pre-existing builds, own up to the fact that there is a problem and instigate remedial action (not likely :thumbdown: )

Actually, 3 steps for Nissan.

1A. Find the cause (practicable and probably done).

1B. Design the cause out of future builds (practicable and probably done).

2. For pre-existing builds, own up to the fact that there is a problem and instigate remedial action (not likely :thumbdown: )

This last factor is certainly the case in my experience. My stealer informed me that the accepted tolerance was up to 1ltr per 1000 miles oil consumption.

I think it would be interesting and useful if users here could post up, I'm thinking it could be affecting cars manufactured around the same time, ie a faulty batch of components.

Mine is an 54 plate with just over 37k and uses next to no oil between services. I have prob around 200ml left from the oil supplied by me at service and that's all I need to top up with.