metal clips

big_joe

Evening all

Can anyone tell me what the metal clips are called that the pads sit on (Brembo calipers) and where I can get new ones? I've fitted new discs and pads today but these clips are deformed and the pads won't fit in properly. I tried forcing them in but it binds the brakes solid, they need to be replaced. Cheers

The plate that holds the pads in place? It only goes one way.

Some brembos are fitted with anti squeal shims that fit between the pad back and the caliper pistons.

Ebay is prob your best bet for replacements (of either)

Yeah the metal clips the pads sit on, they need to be able to slide on them but mine are deformed, took some serious effort to get the old pads out. Maybe if I can get them off I can clean the crap out from underneath them and straighten them up, the screws that hold them in have seen better days though. Will take another look tomorrow

The slider plates and fixing screws are part of the calipers and are not available from Nissan on there own.

They can be very difficult to remove if the screws are siezed and if they snap in then you will have an issue.

The problem exists because the aluminium caliper oxidizes and pushes the slider plate upwards which narrows the space for the pad to move freely.

Try slightly levering the edge of the slider upwards and then use a thin small blade to scrape away the foreign material, blowing out with an air line as you go. Once you have cleared away all the crap you will have to gently chap the plate back into its original position so that the pad then becomes a good fit.

Alex. :)

Never known so much hassle fitting brakes :D. My plan was to try get some from Nissan in the morning guess that's a no go then. Alex, thanks I'll give that a go, do you have any second hand ones kicking about if necessary? Cheers

Edited by big_joe

I do have preowned slider plates in stock, however that is not your problem.

The issue is the oxidization which has created a build up of crap below the slider.

If you can get the screws out then the slider will be reusable.

However if you snap the screws in, then you are fooked.

Edited by ZMANALEX

I do have preowned slider plates in stock, however that is not your problem.

The issue is the oxidization which has created a build up of crap below the slider.

If you can get the screws out then the slider will be reusable.

However if you snap the screws in, then you are fooked.

Well I'm fooked.

The screws on the slider plates are completely nackered, looks like someone's had a go at this before. I prized the sliders up to get some crap out and it was a bit better, but still not good enough, pads still won't slide properly. I need to get the plates off, I've even taken the calipers off to get the best purchase I can on the screw heads but they are toffeed. Alex what are my options here? I really don't want to have to buy new calipers just because of these little crappy badly designed pieces of metal!

If you split the calipers, you will get better access to the screws, however I would persevere with the cleaning method that I previously recommended which will work if you are careful and patient.

Remember that you may also have to top and tail the new pads depending on the brand you have bought.

If you break the screws in then you are fooked so I would stay well away from them.

Tried splitting the calipers,the screw heads are officially nackerd. There was so much crap under the plates that I had to really prize them up to get it all out, I'm struggling to get them back flat enough, tried tapping them back into shaped and compressing them with grips buy I'm struggling. This issue has obviously been going on for a while, the old inside pads on each caliper were down to the metal so obviously they've not been retracting properly and I can see someones tried to get these off before.

Alex do you have any second hand calipers in stock? If so can you PM me a price? I need the car back on the road urgently. Cheers