Opinions on a potential 350z purchase

mikejbry

Ok, I have just been to see my first 350z, I would like to point out and get advice on what I had noticed and to ask if the price is indeed fair or not.

Its a Orange 2006 GT model (october registered) with the face lift engine etc, 68k on the clock, tan leather interior, heated electric seats, bi xenons and bluetooth (no nav)

The good bits:

* It has every stamp completed fully and on schedule by nissan, with the last service being in september last year at 63k miles where it had new front tyres

* In december last year it had 2 new rear tyres (he says the rears are 1k old).

* It has a new set of platinum spark plugs which on the receipt were in the region of £180 (fitted i presume).

* New rear discs and pads this month, freshly refurbished rays alloys.

* The engine sounded good, no rattle on startup, no oil by the diff etc.

* Everything worked

* 2 original keys, did they come with a valet key and master key at all? Or is 2 keys how they came?

The bits I did not like/noticed would need doing:

* Slight bolster wear on the drivers seat (normal in every car I have ever owned).

* Light marks over a lot of the body work, on the corners etc, very light scratches here and there but overall it looks fairly tidy, fairly big stone chip just to the side of the bonnet on the wing, that would need sorting as its got a spec of rust appearing on it.

* Very scratched looking drivers door panel (the part with the electric window controls), other parts of the interior have marks on them, the interior quality is nowhere near that of my e39 5 series. This was expected though.

* MOT advisory in december for front discs being worn and a blowing exhaust (he said he asked another garage and they contradicted Nissans assessment, saying there was no leak to speak of).

* The clutch felt very high, I struggled to pull away and looked very amateurish in his pride and joy! It is still on its original clutch so perhaps a testament to the previous owners and how gentle it has been driven?

* Next service is a p3 at 72k so 4k time.

* 1 months tax remaining

The seller seems very very genuine and has owned it the last 4 years, I did like the car and have no issues with dealing with the seller. I think it was more the interior quality in general that put me off slightly and was probably the reason I did not put down deposit, but I'm tempted to call him up tomorrow morning and go and pick up the car friday. i just wanted your opinion on what it should be priced at, its up for £7750 which seemed good before I went to see it, but with needing taxing in a months time, a p3 service due in 4k time, and potentially needing a new clutch soon alongside new discs, this is adding up before I have even begun. £480 tax, front discs and pads £250, clutch £250 plus fitting?, p3 service £300?

Thank you for reading, I would appreciate any advice.

Regards

Mike

Iv got a roadster rev up on a 06 plate. It is priced ok I think but I find the silver and orange . Sell for a bit less than the black and blue. The new clutch as iv seen on here can be priced at just under £1000 . Tax forget that every car needs taxing :-£ the brakes and pads about right for good ones. And servicing you could save by not sending it to nissan .

And the plastic on the doors scratches on ever ones

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Briggsybriggs1

Iv got a roadster rev up on a 06 plate. It is priced ok I think but I find the silver and orange . Sell for a bit less than the black and blue. The new clutch as iv seen on here can be priced at just under £1000 . Tax forget that every car needs taxing :-£ the brakes and pads about right for good ones. And servicing you could save by not sending it to nissan .

And the plastic on the doors scratches on ever ones

Thanks for the reply, I'm not after a roadster however.

Is a high clutch typical? Or is this one on its way out? £1k for a clutch???? can't be £750 labour involved?

I will say though, it sounded fantastic

Yep high clutch means bad clutch . All I no is it's not a cheap job to do . Some one last week had one done. Yep they sound mint mate.

I just found the thread you were talking about, it appears near £1k is with a new DMF as well which makes sense. Hmm, thats putting me off! With new front discs/pads and clutch/dmf, that puts the purchase price up near £9k plus the tax, which of course is on par with buying any car, but its still something I will have to pay for within 4 weeks.

hmmmm

Yep high clutch means bad clutch . All I no is it's not a cheap job to do . Some one last week had one done. Yep they sound mint mate.

I just found the thread you were talking about, it appears near £1k is with a new DMF as well which makes sense. Hmm, thats putting me off! With new front discs/pads and clutch/dmf, that puts the purchase price up near £9k plus the tax, which of course is on par with buying any car, but its still something I will have to pay for within 4 weeks.

hmmmm

The high clutch isnt necessarily a sign of a worn out clutch - most 350z seem to be like this from the factory and there is a thread on here on how to adjust the height of it. Lots of people have lowered their clutches inc me - very effective as it was very difficult to drive smoothly before.

hmmmm

if you like the car make him a offer as if the clutch is on it's way out. Or get it checked before handing over any cash ... Or just move on and look for a different zed .. But as just being said it could just need adjusting . The road tax sucks

He did basically say hes having a lot of interest in the 2 days he has had it advertised and as such is not really willing to move on the price. i think I may call him tomorrow, thank him for letting me have a decent look over the car and the test drive, whilst explaining my concerns regarding the clutch (potentially) and front discs being an imminent expense.