Rattling rear strut brace(!?)

neilpeel2007

Hope someone can help me out with this annoying problem. I have owned a UK 04 coupe for around a month, when I got it I noticed that two of the brackets for fixing the tonneau cover were broken; the top two had popped out of the holes in the underside of the strut brace. Anyway, the rattling of (what I thought was) the busted brackets made me take the thing off the other day and...the rattling is still there, in a big way. When the car goes over any kind of bump in the road it sounds like someone has left some nuts and bolts in the housing around the strut brace across the boot.

I thought it might be some parts of the broken brackets for the tonneau that may have been left in the brace housing when the brackets broke.

Does anyone have any experience of this or any instructions for stripping the strut brace so that I can stop this as it is doing my head in? :headhurt:

Check the service manual on this site (wherever its hiding, I think in Modifications > FAQ). It tells you how the rear comes apart. Unforunately its quite a lot of work due to the overlapping interior panels of the Zed. You need to remove most of the trim from behind the seats to the strut brace :thumbdown:

Thanks for that. Sounds like it's one for the dealers then. I noticed the top panel on the brace pops off but is overlapped by the sides of the boot so I see what you mean about the overlapping. I'll try to narrow the noise down as much as possible and then take it to the dealer, warranty runs out in 4 weeks so see what they say. Would be a shame to try unpicking the brace only to find the noise is coming from the boot lid. Oh for a friendly midget when you need one. :)

But then we'd be paying Audi prices for these cars and it would suddenly cost £40k not £30k! Twas the same with my Leon. Yeah its a rebranded Audi (all the engine bits said Audi on them) but it rattled like buggery after 18 months. However, if I'd had the same spec in an A3 (near on S3) I would have had to pay nearly £4k more for no rattles!