Clutch rattle when disengaging?

Stu_2424

To a large degree this is normal for the Zeds.. They have noisy flywheel/throwouts, etc.. Just they way they were made. Now it can be excessive, but many people would think the noise every manual Z has with the clutch disengaged, or a first gear disengage/start makes is some horrible problem when that's 100% normal. :)

So, I wouldn't worry too much about it. If it's a noise that wasn't there.. and you've had the car a while.. and now has appeared.. that's a bit different.

I'm glad I knew these cars had noisy tranny's/clutches before I went to test drive the one I ended up buying.. lol.

• Like 1

Yeah it didn't do it before that's what's caught my interest.

Just wondering what could have changed to cause it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You SURE it didn't? :D

I'm not doubting you hehe

But.. I test drove a brand new 370 last week (just for fun).. and They are even LOUDER.. can you imagine? ;) -- Anyhow.. It's the nature of our clutches/flywheels.. They sound broken, or like something is direly wrong with them.. I'm certain some 350's sound louder than others while still remaining in perfect operating order.

I've noticed mine got a touch louder since buying it 4 months ago.. But still well within what I'd call normal for 350's.

Otherwise -- I'd Check your Clutch fluid,.. And it wouldn't hurt to change your transmission fluid "proper". Some swear by the Synthetic Redline stuff.. others say the Nissan OEM fluid is miles better.. You can make that choice, it's super easy to do.. (relatively anyway)..

I would also check under the car for any loose exhaust components, bolts, heat shields, and the like.

If you can.. Use your Phone.. or a Camcorder if you have one and go warm your car up.. and in neutral, at idle with E-brake on.. Record a short video standing on driver side and move the phone/camera around to pick up the noise in various areas. It would give us a *little* better idea of the sound you are hearing, although of course won't be as good as in person.

Lastly, if it really freaks you out.. Bring it to a shop that deals with Zeds -- They'll tell you normal or not in about 2 seconds.

The clutches on our Zeds coupled with the Renault gearbox was not one of engineering history's greatest moments :scare:

Heh.. Yeah the pair acoustically don't win any awards.doh.gif

That said,.. Slave Cylinder issues aside the pairing work quite well imho. If you reaaaallly wanted to make the Zed quiet in regards to the Tranny/clutch it could be done.. but meh, if it embarasses you at idle, push the clutch in lol.. Otherwise my exhaust is far too loud to hear it otherwise.. and after that initial start in 1st (which sometimes I get just right for no odd noise).. my box is smooth (oh boy :) ) ...

Edited by Chromatic

Well think I've found my rattle...

Took her for a spirited drive through the back roads and noticed when going a slower speeds the rattle was back and sounded 10x louder and harsher going round islands etc but it was very inconsistent.

Got back and went under the back to straight away find the heat shield above the backbox has torn loose of the nuts and is sitting on the exhaust

Doh!!!

• Like 1

Took her for a spirited drive through the back roads and noticed when going a slower speeds the rattle was back and sounded 10x louder and harsher going round islands etc but it was very inconsistent.

Got back and went under the back to straight away find the heat shield above the backbox has torn loose of the nuts and is sitting on the exhaust

Doh!!!

Great! I was actually right in one of my few guesses of things to check :D - And I'm glad to hear (no pun intended.. or is there? :) ) that it was just a loose/broken heatshield.. and nothing that costs any real money. Right on!

Thanks for posting the follow up here.. hate when people don't post follow ups, as follow up's really help when searching for potential reasons why your car is doing X..

Think you can handle getting it fitted back in there? Or you just going to pull the shield and leave it off? If you do pull the shield, I'd recommend wrapping sensitive items around it with heat shield wrap.. will work fairly well. I'd probably retap the holes and put in some larger bolts.. Or possibly tig weld it back on.. OR, the easiest for a DIY'er would probably be to drill a large pilot hole, then use a self tapping metal screw/bolt to put it back on , perhaps with some lock-tite. This is one of those things that has about 2 dozen ways you could re-fit it back in there.. Or, leave it off.

Edited by Chromatic

Doh!!!

Great! I was actually right in one of my few guesses of things to check :D - And I'm glad to hear (no pun intended.. or is there? :) ) that it was just a loose/broken heatshield.. and nothing that costs any real money. Right on!

Thanks for posting the follow up here.. hate when people don't post follow ups, as follow up's really help when searching for potential reasons why your car is doing X..

Think you can handle getting it fitted back in there? Or you just going to pull the shield and leave it off? If you do pull the shield, I'd recommend wrapping sensitive items around it with heat shield wrap.. will work fairly well. I'd probably retap the holes and put in some larger bolts.. Or possibly tig weld it back on.. OR, the easiest for a DIY'er would probably be to drill a large pilot hole, then use a self tapping metal screw/bolt to put it back on , perhaps with some lock-tite. This is one of those things that has about 2 dozen ways you could re-fit it back in there.. Or, leave it off.

Good guess from yourself then :)

Well I think my first idea is to take the nuts off and refit the heat shield onto the bolts and then fit the biggest washers I can find and then refit the nuts :)

We will see how it goes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1