What paint do I use for painting door handles/wing mirrors

Randy_Baton

I've got a gun metal and I'm going for the black mirrors/door handles look (unique, I know).

I was going to use http://www.paints4u.com as they seem to be highly recommended, but not sure what I should go for.

Presume this is the top coat:

http://www.paints4u.com/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=3258

Power Can Satin Black Upol 500ml A/sol

And something like this for the base coat:

http://www.paints4u.com/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=3439

High #5 Grey Primer 450ml A/sol

Is that right?

Just as a little pointer (i work in automotive paint!)... If the handles are plastic then you will want to use a plastic primer to prevent any kind of peeling or lack of adhesion. They can come in either coloured or clear. Then apply your top coat whether it be basecoat and lacquer or solid 2k (probably not for handles!) BUT whatever you do, don't buy cheap tat! Halfrauds, you get what you pay for!

Look up your local automotive paint and consumables bodyshop supplier and they will point you in the right direction! Whatever you do, don't be disappointed when Halfrauds amazing quality paint range lets you down superbly! Buy cheap, buy twice :)

Hope this helped a little bit!

Good point about the plastic paint, wouldn't the wing mirror covers be plastic to?

I believe so yes! You don't have to use a "plasti-coat" so to speak! That is the proper DIY way of doing things! In order to do a proper job, look at getting a clear plastic primer, choose the colour you want (metallics will be basecoat which require a clear coat or lacquer) and then keep a very fine key between coats using a wet and dry paper of no harsher than about p2000! Any scaring left visable below the clear coat could be taken out with a clay cloth unless it's too deep... Very very gentle with the rubbing down for a key etc... :)

As for the handles, some are metal some are plastic as I found out when I got a second set . Mine are 53 plate handles and metal so I guess some later ones must be plastic!

Yeah, if that's the case then it might be wise to source a cheap, broken handle from a breakers yard (to test paint)... Some products react with others. If that is the case then you can barcoat it and then basecoat, then clearcoat... if you test it and it doesn't react or curdle at all then you could use the original paint as your primer because it will already have an etch underneath the top layer and should be absolutely fine if no reaction occurs on the test subject :)