My Nismo given the Cobra and Stillen treatment....

sipar69

1) Not sure what you mean but if you are wondering whether the Stillen without a cat change still sounds great - yes it does. It's a fantastic sounding exhaust on its own. Sporty and quite deep but not too loud.

2) Got no reply to that except the obvious - if you don't like the look of the Stillen pick a different exhaust, although I think you'll struggle to find one that looks as close to the stock Nismo exhaust. Chances are you are going to have to compromise between a more visible back box or tips that look quite different to the ones on the Nismo. The Stillen back box is more visible (doesn't bother me at all) but the tips look really similar to the Nismo system.

Edited by sipar69
  • Like 1

1) Not sure what you mean but if you are wondering whether the Stillen without a cat change still sounds great - yes it does. It's a fantastic sounding exhaust on its own. Sporty and quite deep but not too loud.

2) Got no reply to that except the obvious - if you don't like the look of the Stillen pick a different exhaust, although I think you'll struggle to find one that looks as close to the stock Nismo exhaust. Chances are you are going to have to compromise between a more visible back box or tips that look quite different to the ones on the Nismo. The Stillen back box is more visible (doesn't bother me at all) but the tips look really similar to the Nismo system.

1 - cool!

2 - can I be rude and ask you to take some more pics from the back? :) want to see how much of the box you can see.,

As requested by WINKJ, shots to show how visible the back box is. Should be apparent that it sits well back under the defuser - you have to get on a level with it to see it properly. You'd be mad to let this put you off ;)

It also seems that Stillen are using better quality steel on the back box welds these days. The welds on my previous Stillen discoloured fairly quickly, but the ones on the current exhaust look really shiny and don't seem to be discolouring at all.

12757c86ded9c57925fb1a0a03cc3763_zps2befd39a.jpg

d5d54bb74542457a9a68630f1e72b0ae_zps25e59f60.jpg

7436c5a31df70e1acad9f088809634d8_zps5970b359.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

As promised - important tip for fitting Stillen (and probably other exhausts) to the Nismo.

1) On the underside of the car there is a black painted bracket on to which is fixed the rubber mount for the third/rear exhaust hanger on the stock Nismo exhaust (picture of it from the web below)

2) When you have removed the stock Nismo exhaust from the car, you need to remove the bracket. If you don't it will obstruct the third hanger on the Stillen exhaust and force it downwards making the left tip of the exhaust noticeably lower than the right

3) You can either just have the exhaust attached by the front two hangers or preferably remove the rubber mount from the bracket and bolt it directly to the underside of the car where the bracket used to be fixed. Attached directly to the car minus the bracket the mount sits at just the right height for the Stillen's third exhaust hanger to fit into - the tips will then line up properly

Hope that helps.

NISMO20hanger20on20car_zpsb4eb74ea.jpg

Edited by sipar69

get a video on of you giving it some beans! :) then I can compare against mine without HFC...

also: did you notice any difference with the HKS drop in filters?

are the filters in the Nismo the same as the standard 370?

Edited by WINKJ

I keep trying to get a video from in the car but my other half isn't the best camerawoman! Last time I just ended up with a video of her feet :) Will see what I can do. She reckons it's too loud on cold start (it is pretty loud to be honest) but it quietens down. The big difference to the Stillen with stock cats is on hard accelleration - you get a sort of howl with the HFCs which I really like. You do also get some rasp though. I'm used to it now though.

Bottom line is if I had to take the HFCs out tomorrow I would still be very happy with the sound. I never felt like adding HFCs to the last car which had the Stillen on - they just happened to go on the Nismo before I had the exhaust fitted.

Didn't notice a difference with the filters to be honest but they're supposed to be good. I think the stock Nismo filters are the same as the standard car's.

• Like 1

No. But you need to be aware that some people do have a specific problem with fitting a Stillen exhaust and high flow cats. The cats can push the exhaust down so that it vibrates on the cross brace. I was lucky not to have that problem but it's worth speaking to Will - he had to remove his HFCs.