High Pitched Noise/Rattle/Squeak on Rev and Acceleration

Mike Rosie

Evening folks!

I have slowly developed a squeak/rattle from the transmission/clutch area under the car over the last 300-500miles

It happens sometimes when I rev but mostly when I pull away/accelerate from a standstill. It is only brief (unless i hold the rev amount) and happens around 800-1000rpm

In the below video I rev the engine multiple times and then hold it to create the noise - the car is standstill and there is no clutch pedal action

I think it sounds like some sort of guard vibration or perhaps some sort of trans/clutch bearing

Any ideas? I plan on taking the car to CS soon with another issue and it would be nice to go with an idea of what is going on down under.

Thanks

Mike

EDIT: Missed the 'pinned' post before - I'll try that! Feel free to delete or possibly add the video to the 'pinned' post (if this is the same issue). But if the pinned issue sounds like the below then my issue is different

Edited by Mike Rosie

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just had another good look under the car. Sounds as if it is coming from the gearbox and the noise now occurs whether the car is warm or cold (when is first started is was only when it was warm)

Any more suggestions before It goes to a garage?

Thanks

Mike

Edited by Mike Rosie

Does the noise alter with the clutch up or down ?

No, well, Sort of.

I can make the noise (by revving the engine) but its only for a split second as the revs past 700 - This is the same whether the clutch is engaged or not.

When pulling off and the revs hang around 700-1000 the noise is extended as the clutch is used and not just a short chirp.

So I guess, no, it doesn't alter.

Thanks for the suggestions so far guys

Very difficult to tell from the vids as it hard to determine the depth and intensity but sounds a bit like a bearing on a pulley/tensioner ?

But you say it's more gearbox area ?

Never had a DMf go so not sure but think you would feel it in the drive

Very difficult to tell from the vids as it hard to determine the depth and intensity but sounds a bit like a bearing on a pulley/tensioner ?

But you say it's more gearbox area ?

Never had a DMf go so not sure but think you would feel it in the drive

Yep, sound like the gearbox. Are there metal guards above the gearbox that could have corroded?